Kurobox NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Kuro Community
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:47 pm

All times are UTC-06:00




Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:38 pm 
I just read the specs, and you're right, the HG does have gig ethernet, which makes my point somewhat.


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:31 pm 
You are dreaming again. :shock:
First some facts from an Engineer! :roll:
The IDE hard drive is ATA100 already. That's 100 MBytes per second.
The Ethernet is 100Mbits per second. 8X difference.
Agreed these are with a significant tail wind on a perfect day.

The Kuro runs about 4-5 MBytes per second writes. That's not the maximum network. The Kuro runs about 7Mbytes per second on reads. That's not the network either. :lol:
OK Facts are done...

My Kuro/HG RD/WR doesn't run more than 20% faster than the Kuro. If it was the network the same argument made about the network would imply we should see 10X increase in speed on the Kuro/HG. :oops:

The HG has a 266MHz processor over the Kuro. I think this accounts for most of the increase in speed. The network is not a factor.

I think the extra 64MBytes of RAM is not a factor either.
I am guessing the latency of the Samba driver is the throttle on the throughput.
So I say speed up the processor a little but keep the costs in check.
The RAM don't matter but put in a socket. And give us the rest of the kernel source so we can do a clean build. We can fix the performance issues. Clearly 'Buffalo' is not going too. If your changing the board, then swap out that old ATA controller with a SATA one and run a connector out the back. More USB ports (You have 5)
And that blue (UV) LED is cool. Add some more.


Top
   
 Post subject: next gen kuro
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:22 am 
i see a lot of discussion about the next gen kuro, but haven't you guys noticed the terrastation?

why not a kuro version of that product, which essentially runs the HG board but provides more drive expansion?

the cost to buffalo is probably not that much more than the linkstation kuro shell, so you could probably sell them for 3-400 and still make a profit. the terrastation sells for a buck a gig, or 1000 bucks. you could throw whatever drives you wanted into the "kurostation" (i imagine they're runing software RAID anyways) and go over or under a terrabyte and still have the killer home NAS/hack box from helll...

i say forget the current form-factor, bring the terrastation to kuro land....


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:03 am 
You didn't listen properly. I simply said that any upgrades made to the hard drive controller (to be SATA, whatever) are pointless unless the network interface speed is also addressed: you acknowledge this by your 8X comment. I didn't say that this was the _only_ limiting factor, and as you point out, RAM and CPU are issues as well. I'm well aware that NFS benchmark figures on 100Mbps show 60-100MBps throughout - meaning that there are other system dynamics at hand (whether simply CPU, RAM or other latency, write-back issues).

Quote:
You are dreaming again. Shocked
First some facts from an Engineer!


Perhaps if you want to be a real professional engineer, you could avoid the unprofessional sarcasm and stick to the facts in an objective manner. For your information I'm also an engineer, and old enough to know that I'm not a stupid one when it comes to system dynamics.,


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: next gen kuro
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:06 pm 
[quote="theevaluator"]i see a lot of discussion about the next gen kuro, but haven't you guys noticed the terrastation?

why not a kuro version of that product, which essentially runs the HG board but provides more drive expansion?

Whatz under the hood of the terrastation? Further confusing me is the DriveStation. Whatz the difference between the drivestation and the Linkstation? Can the drivestation be made into a kuro?

confused :lol:


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:54 pm 
Funny I didn't hear anything worth listening too. :lol:
Perhaps you could avoid useless sarcasm. Would a professional engineer just agree with you when your wrong just to shut you up! :oops:

The HG has a faster network, but it does not run 10 times as fast. The Network is not the bottleneck. The disk is 8x times the network speed. It is not the bottleneck! So your statements I heard didn't make sense to me. Speeding up either did not make significant improvements.

Maybe you can explain why the dissrepancy instead of attempting to insult other designers that have other opinions. :D


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:04 am 
Buffalo has indicated it will not be shipping the TerraStation standalone (kuro style). I understand it does not have telnet enabled on it.
The 4 disk drives don't store the OS the same way as the Kuro/LS box.
So it won't be simple to move the drive to a Linux machine and fix it.
The enclosure looks pretty cheap to me. One fan!
If that fan goes, your Terabyte of data will be gone in ten minutes! :cry:

I would save your nickels on this one. It does not look very well designed and the programmers that did the interface are probably the same ones that screwed up the kuro box.

Tech support will still be the same clowns as before.
Maybe you can get that old engineer thats not stupid to tell us about system dynamics of the TeraStation :wink:


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: next gen kuro
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:15 pm 
confused??? wrote:
theevaluator wrote:
Further confusing me is the DriveStation. Whatz the difference between the drivestation and the Linkstation? Can the drivestation be made into a kuro?


The drivestations are just usb disks. no ethernet.


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 3:35 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
To really do something about performance, you'd want to start thinking about gigabit ethernet.

Upgrading the IDE interface: again, same argument: NFS reads are still bottlenecked by the 100Mbps interface, not by the ATA interface.



oh?

Anonymous wrote:
I just read the specs, and you're right, the HG does have gig ethernet, which makes my point somewhat.


The only point i see being made is your own foot sortof in your own mouth.

Although a bit belated I am to join this thread, I couldn't help but note the obvious.

Anonymous wrote:
Perhaps if you want to be a real professional engineer, you could avoid the unprofessional sarcasm and stick to the facts in an objective manner.


Just the facts, sir, I can't help but point out the obvious of Kuro Owner's sound logic and your poorly reasoned, self-defeating mass of contradictions ... first strongly arguing about a network bottleneck being the source of poor performance, then when being told the HG has a gigabit speed, saying that it makes your point.

Anonymous wrote:
For your information I'm also an engineer, and old enough to know that I'm not a stupid one when it comes to system dynamics.


You might want to rethink that assumption.


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 12:31 am 
I love this guy (or gal)

Welcome aboard.


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:06 am 
I'd love to see SATA, and maybe mini-pci slot (to add an optional wifi card). It'd be great if you could use one of these kuroboxes as a wifi router.


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 2:24 am 
I get the impression that Kuro Owner is just one of those engineers that has to make himself look right and make someone else look wrong, even though he doesn't properly read or listen to what someone else has said. Reading the thread makes that clear, and the odd lacky that agrees with him doesn't change that. I don't need to work from assumptions about my skills: I've designed several commercially successful products, and that's years of evidence more than a single message in a forum like this. Have a nice life.


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:10 am 
A faster cpu sounds great. But what is the cost in watts? What makes the Kuro Box so appealling, among other things, is its low power consumption. What's the difference in power sonsumption of a 400MHz version of the 200MHz cpu that is current shipping?

I don't have a Kuro Box. I'd buy one today if they came into compliance with the GPL so we can switch kernels (I'm assuming I've understood the threads I've read---please correct me if I am wrong, which I hope I am.). Does LinuxBios support the board in the KuroBox?


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:56 am
Posts: 62
Anonymous wrote:
A faster cpu sounds great. But what is the cost in watts? What makes the Kuro Box so appealling, among other things, is its low power consumption. What's the difference in power sonsumption of a 400MHz version of the 200MHz cpu that is current shipping?

The Freescale CPU in the Kuro and Linkstation is only available at speeds up to 266MHz. Freescale offers other parts with faster clock speed, but not in that exact device.

-Nat


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 3:03 pm 
Quote:
Actually, I (and more importantly Sven too it seems) care a lot about more CPU/memory and almost consider it an imperative to widespread dev appeal. For those of us that don't have a Mac (clear majority of dev community) it's pretty brutal having to deal with recompiling the kernel using the 266mhz (i have hg) stock cpu and 128 meg memory. Maybe I'm spoiled with modern day arch since it was only five years ago that overnight compiles were the modus operandi, but these days, just slogging through the coma-like sludge of emerging simple utilities is enough to raise my blood pressure a lot. Not to mention the thought of recompiling a 2.6 kernel a bunch of times as a thorougly unappealing and miserable experience imho. Cross compiling might be an answer if i had extra cycles and resources to spare, but it would seem to make much more sense to improve onboard cpu and ram, or at least provide the leads on the board that makes it an option.

One distro that makes building a kernel/source code to a specific target simpler is http://www.t2-project.org/about.html I'm assuming that you have more than 128MB on your other machine(s) ;)


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 Next

All times are UTC-06:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited