Kurobox NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Kuro Community
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:23 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:25 pm 

Just a stupid question.. While in a "normal" configuration, it would seem that there is this 160Mb sized partition with the generic Linux running on it and a small area for swap (256mb IIRC) and the rest is reserved for "data".. To that end, if i want to increase the space for the main OS from the 160Mb to perhaps 768Mb or perhaps even a few gigs, is that going to cause any odd side effects with the main software? I'm just wondering.. In my case, I've not got a kuro, but did pick up a linkstation last week, but I'm sure they are equal in this regard.

Thanks!

-- Rick

Post subject: No Problem
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:29 pm 

It won't be a problem with the operation of LinkStation as far as what's normal for it right now. Be sure to make sure your data on the "data" partition is archive of the device before repartitioning of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:49 am 

Just a quick FYI.. I managed to repartition the drive fairly easily, but not directly using the Linkstation.. I used an external Linux box and removed all partitions and replaced the 160Mb partition (hda1) with one that was 2Gb in size and placed a slightly larger swap partition next (hda2) and then put the big user-data partition next (hda3). The original partitioning scheme had a ~70Mb partition as hda4, but I left it out of the current scheme -- i might put it back though... Once I did a "dd" to put the original OS back on the hda1 partition and I rebooted, I was getting a series of 3 flashing diagnostic lights every 5-10 seconds.. However, it booted fine and I could telnet in and poke around. I didn't like what the diagnostic lights were indicating, so i tried to re-update the firmware to v1.44 and it failed and left the box in a wierd state. I then rebooted the box and tried the firmware updater again and it claimed there wasn't any firmware yet and to install a virgin image. I did that and the box rebooted afterwards and nothing was lost -- all passwords intact, files intact, and no diagnostic lights either.. All was happy!

-- Rick

Post subject: DIAGs
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:03 am 

Rick,

When you rebooted and normal operation resumed with your LinkStation, did your DIAG activity halt or are you still seeing the 3X flashes?

Sven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:00 pm 

Sven,

Yes.. After rebooting the diagnostic LED's quit flashing and are now off.. Are there different things that the LED's indicate by flashing the lights on and off -- e.g. 3x = bad boot up, etc.?

Thanks!

-- Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:30 pm 
I just partitioned my drive using mkdisk right on the kurobox. The only thing I used the setup disk for was the image.zip file.

I made:

2gig /dev/hda1 main filesystem
512meg swap partition
242gig /dev/hda3 data partition

here's how I did it (briefly)

I telnetted into the box at 192.168.11.150 (root:kuro)
mkdisk

mkdisk dumps you into a menu

n makes a new partition
select "primary partition"
select default start cylinder
+2048M calculates the correct cylinder for about 2 gig

p prints the partition table so far (yay, it's right)

n make another partition
select primary again
select the cylinder it says
+512M makes a 512 meg partition
t change partition type
82 hex value for linux swap partition

p print partitions so far (yay, I seem to be doing it right)

Repeat for the data partition but accept both the starting cylinder and the ending cylinder to fill the disk.

w write the partition table and exit

I then mkfs both linux partitions and mkswap the swap one

I then ftp'ed the image and the binary packages to the unit and unpacked.

A reboot and I'm cooking...

Total time for a semi-linux-friendly sort of guy... 10 minutes

Sheldon

Post subject: mkdisk file
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:22 pm 
Is the mkdisk file part of a "running" kuro system or it is only available in EM mode?
My goal is to start from scratch (write_ng etc.) and create a bigger hda1 than the one created by default.
Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

JG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:25 pm 

In my case since I'm using the Linkstation, I just used another Linux system to mount the drive (by removing it from the LS) and did it that way.. A bit more inconvenient but worked great. You could use that as your last resort.

Post subject: Re: mkdisk file
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:32 pm 

guest wrote:
Is the mkdisk file part of a "running" kuro system or it is only available in EM mode?
My goal is to start from scratch (write_ng etc.) and create a bigger hda1 than the one created by default.
Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

JG

mkdisk is not available on my kurobox in the built-in shell.
However, mfdisk -c is the same thing, so it's easy to set up the partitions without removing the drive.

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]