Kurobox NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Kuro Community
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:29 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Shutdown?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:11 am 

With your typical linux box, you have to issue the shutdown command before turning it off. Is this also true of the Kurobox? I did some searches, but couldn't find anything on this.

I understand it's meant to stay on all the time, but if I want to move it (as in to demo it at a user group meeting), I'll need to turn it off.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:45 pm 

The button on the front of the box can be used to initiate a shutdown or you can issue the shutdown command from a telnet or ssh session. Either works.

Post subject: Thanks!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:26 pm 

Better safe than sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:32 am 

It is better to issue the shutdown command as this will shutdown running tasks cleanly, doing things like removing the PID file so that the tasks start up correctly when you turn the Kuro back on.

With the Gentoo image installed you have to hold the front buttton in for about 10 seconds for the box to initiate ha hard shutdown. I don't know what is available for the default image or Allen's image.

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:28 am 

The 'power' button is not really a power button the PC sense, it is just a button that sends an event to a serial device (/dev/ttyS1). A daemon, in the case of gentoo beta1 and the kuro.dsk.jp images, kuroevtd, polls the serial device and interprets the hex codes: 0x20: pwr release; 0x21: pwr push; 0x22: reset release; 0x23: reset push. The daemon then runs the apropriate script in /etc/kuroevtd.d and runs either 'shutdown -h now' or 'shutdown -r now' depending on a shutdown/reset press.

I have not looked at the original kuro image closely, but I couldn't possibly imagine that it would be any different. ext3 does not deal well with power loss and unproper syncing and unmounting. If the button actually did just cut power, there would be a whole lot more kuro users complaining of corrupted filesystems.

In summary, do whatever you want, issuing the shutdown command through ssh or telnet is the same thing as pushing the power button.

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]