Kurobox NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Kuro Community
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:40 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 

What is the most important software to get from Reolution?
Kuro HG sources 25%  25%  [ 6 ]
An open source firmware 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
"Offical" protocols for the PIC relating to Kuros 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Kuro HG modules 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
uBoot 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
Firmware that will read a kernel on disk/net 42%  42%  [ 10 ]
Other (Please post request in thread) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes: 24
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:18 am 
Site Admin

With the limited access to Sven and Revolution we have, I'd like to see what is the most important software we would like. I want to start leaning on the powers that be but I want to lean wher it will be most helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:43 am 

I would like the Kuro HG sources but they are required per the GPL to make those available so I made my request for the ability to load a kernel from disk which they aren't legally required to do but sure would be nice.

Actually the giga linkstation sources for the 2.4.20 kernel which work on the HG would be nice since that works with loader.o.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:12 am 
Site Admin

I know they are legally req'd to supply sources, but I want to know what to LEAN on them about first. It is a case of having to push to get anything and I want to push the right direction. Good input Gordo.

To all: Don't confuse this poll with what do we want to influence Revolution to that they need not do. Instead vote for the thing that would give most bang for the buck.

Thanks
Brian

PS Ill count you for both Gordo ;)

Keep on...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:14 pm 

I agree with Gordo.
The main thing we need is a way of loading our own kernels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:13 pm 

waite,
Is getting anything a realistic possibility? Has Revo indicated that any of this is possible? Wouldn't the loading a kernel from disk require a lot of work on their part?

I'm glad to see someone trying to push them but I personally refuse to get my hopes up.

If anyone is from Revo is reading this, the treatment of us Kuro users has left me sour on your company. At this point I would never consider purchasing a TerraStation because I feel it would rot away in obsolescence (old 2.4 kernel) just like our Kuros are beginning to. When I look at Infrant's ReadyNAS product, I like what I see. Their forums get a lot of attention from their devs and support people. Plus the ReadyNAS design isn't prone to catastrophe like most Revo products. Their OS boots from a compact flash card so worst case is you pull it and take it to your PC for wiping and reinstall. The ReadyNAS isn't hackable but neither is the TerraStation.

Last edited by awx on Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:31 pm 

I would like to have the windows installer source.

alan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:08 am 
Site Admin

awx wrote:
waite,
Is getting anything a realistic possibility? Has Revo indicated that any of this is possible? Wouldn't the loading a kernel from disk require a lot of work on their part?

I'm glad to see someone trying to push them but I personally refuse to get my hopes up.

If anyone is from Revo is reading this, the treatment of us Kuro users has left me sour on your company. At this point I would never consider purchasing a TerraStation because I feel it would rot away in obsolescence (old 2.4 kernel) just like our Kuros are beginning to. When I look at Infrant's ReadyNAS product, I like what I see. Their forums get a lot of attention from their devs and support people. Plus the ReadyNAS design isn't prone to catastrophe like most Revo products. Their OS boots from a compact flash card so worst case is you pull it and take it to your PC for wiping and reinstall. The ReadyNAS isn't hackable but neither is the TerraStation.

Gordo,
Sorry for the late response. I do have *some* confidence I can get stuff out of Revolution. I have been told by them they want to help the community. I don't know how much development time i can get out of them but hoepfully at least one FW upgrade for kernels would be fantastic. I too will not get my hopes up. It is a bit crazy dealing with Revo as they tend to follow the shiny object until another comes along. I am trying to stay shiney :)
Ill keep you all posted.

Thanks
Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:10 pm 

I guess the poor man's solution to disk loadable kernels is to put something early in the boot sequence that does a uname to check if the current kernel is stock. If it is then insmod loader.o kernel=something you set by a configuration file. It would then be a bit like grub except you always load whatever is in flash first before going to new kernel.

There would be some risk you could get stuck with a bad kernel but you could always fix it by pulling the harddrive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:33 pm 

How about a working storefront?

Personally, my kuro is working fine as is... when I have time (ha!) I'd like to get YARRS working, but I don't need anything for that from Revo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:45 pm 

gordo wrote:
I guess the poor man's solution to disk loadable kernels is to put something early in the boot sequence that does a uname to check if the current kernel is stock. If it is then insmod loader.o kernel=something you set by a configuration file. It would then be a bit like grub except you always load whatever is in flash first before going to new kernel.

There would be some risk you could get stuck with a bad kernel but you could always fix it by pulling the harddrive.

This seems more likely to me than Revo actually writing much in the way of new code. Seeing how you guys have been making progress with loader.o on the HG, this at least looks possible. Going the loader.o route, shouldn't we be voting for full HG Kernel sources instead of the option for loading kernel from disk?

I'd much prefer Revo to impliment kernel loading directly in the Kuro's boot process but it just doesn't seem like they would actually go to that much trouble (to me anyways).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:50 am 

I made a simple poor man's bootloader and posted in a new thread in General Development. If the consensus is that this is a workable solution then the 2.4.20 sources would be my first priority.

It still needs a bit of tidying - I really should use an /etc/conf.d script to set the kernel file etc but it seems to work OK.

Someone will have to make one for the Kuro since I don't have a working loader.o for the Kuro or any alternate kernel to boot into.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:52 pm 

If i recall correctly, the netbsd guys had a pretty decent success rate at getting companies to provide driver source by coming up with a form letter, figuring out the email address of who at the company has the power to get the source out, and then having encouraging the entire user group to spam that email address relentlessly until communication was established.

Normally, i would consider this quite the extreme measure, however at this point i would definitely consider this option considering the HG sources have been so thoroughly neglected despite the kuro being marketed as an open hackable hardware.

I think the order perhaps to attempt to get them to comply would be:

1) Mailing the free software foundation about this lame violation of the GPL. They seem to be decent at getting companies to comply

2) Emailing gpl-violations.org about the obvious GPL breach

3) If all else fails: SPAM THEM INTO COMPLIANCE.

Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:01 pm 

license-violation@gnu.org

Please let the FSF know of any and all violations of the GPL that has occurred with the kurobox.

This is the info they request to expedite the matter ... if we can come to consensus on what the following are, I can fill in the blanks and create a complete form letter with the blanks filled in and re-post to announcements:

* the precise name of the product
* the name of the person or organization distributing it
* email addresses, postal addresses and phone numbers for how to contact the distributor(s)
* the exact name of the package whose license is violated
* how the license was violated:
o Is the copyright notice of the copyright holder included?
o Is the source code completely missing?
o Does the written offer for source, if given, only give a website and/or FTP site where to download the source?
o Is there a copy of the license included in the distribution?
o Is some of the source available, but not all? If so, what parts are missing?

Post subject: Firmware
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:40 am 

I voted for HG source even though most folks don't have an HG.
I think the differences between the HG and non-HG design is the network interface and the 64 bit SDRAM (128Mbytes). So the source probably will have an option build for either one.
I'm not sure HG source would do us that much good. We need to get away from the old kernel in Flash. That means the loader in Flash I think.
If we had the source for the loader we could probably generate our own 2.6 kernel. Without the loader everybody is afraid to update the flash and brick there unit.
So count me for all of the above too. :lol:
I will take what ever we can get even if I have to pay a few buck to entice them! Everybody through in $20 and Sven releases the source code :wink:
Maybe another $5 and we can get the schematics in Japanese.
Money talks and can make Brian shine real brite 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:11 am 

When all else fails ask. I e-mailed buffalo tech support and they sent me the info on the GigaLS GPL source. See here:

http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=3533#3533

It includes the 2.4.20 source!

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]