Kurobox NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Kuro Community
It is currently Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:45 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Getting started
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:53 pm 

As someone who first read about the Kuroboxes almost a year ago, it has taken a while for me to get my hands on one direct from Japan thanks to a friend of mine.

So... I am new to the game and when combined with the fact that I've never used Linux (other than two Red Hat KDE installs which I used about twice each) you will see that I have A LOT to learn. The forums seem to have slowed down a lot in the last eight months, and I know from personal experience that they appeared to be offline for a good portion of the last half of 2005.

Anyway, I thought that I would go ahead and start to contribute a few articles from my perspective as info for complete noobs seems to be a little thin on the ground (a bit like saying that their isn't much info on flying jets for novice pilots).

As such, if anyone can suggest any generic Linux "start here" sites which would help me to start learning Linux I would be most grateful.

Also, any book recommendations on the same subject would be great.

I have a couple of other questions but will save those for separate posts

Thanks in advance

Kuro Virgin

Never used Linux either.... what have I done? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:39 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome to the community! I must say you have jump in pretty deep with Linux on the Kurobox. You are very limited if you do something wrong with the filesystem. Most anything you do though, we can undo. Just NEVER type the word /dev/mtd<anything>. These are the irreserviable steps. Make sure you know what you are loading before you do this. Anyhow I am sure you'll make your way quite well. I might reccommend downloading a LIVE CD either Ubuntu or Knoppix These CD will let you run Linux on your home system without ever touching the har drive.

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]