Kurobox NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Kuro Community
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:15 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

Which Distro do you prefer for your Kuro?
The default 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Debian 29%  29%  [ 5 ]
Gentoo 65%  65%  [ 11 ]
none of the above 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes: 17
 Post subject: Which Distro?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:59 pm 

A couple of lines supporting your choice would be great. (I'm trying to choose which distro to learn, but I would also be interested to know who prefers what)

Some articles I have read on the subject which were informative:
http://www.tomvergote.be/writings/Linux ... nment.html
- Easy to understand for a noob like me

http://singe.rucus.net/blog/archives/27 ... ebian.html
- I get the gist, but a years has gone by and I would imagine that Gentoo has caught up a bit since then.

http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Converting_f ... troduction
- Way too much info to digest, but again someone says Debian works first time. It looks a little more intuitive to me too.

Initially I had thought that Gentoo would be the way to go as I have been a network/server admin for the last ten years and initially learnt on DOS 3.3... however, people keep saying that Debian works..... I DON'T want o make my life un-necessarily complicated but I do want to be able to tweak.

What say you all?

Never used Linux either.... what have I done? :)

Post subject: Re: Which Distro?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:21 pm 

James wrote:
A couple of lines supporting your choice would be great. (I'm trying to choose which distro to learn, but I would also be interested to know who prefers what)

I guess it all depends which flavour of Linux you've grown up with. If you've grown up with Debian and it seems it works in the Kuro environment, then fine. I've used Redhat and Mandrake (before the nenaming) on x86 family, but there was no direct community-supported port to the PPC / Kuro.

Gentoo is nice in the way that you can manage the dependencies and even nicer in the way that the kuro community embraced it. The debian port wasn't there at my decision point, so I had a simple choice. So I vote Gentoo - it may not be better, but it works for me. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:33 pm 
Site Admin

On my current box I use debian, but on my next I plan to try Sylver's image and Gentoo. I like Sylver's image because it is based on the basic file structure and would make a good small foorprint start point.

Thanks
Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:31 am 

I am using Alan's image because at the time it seemed like a fairly advanced image based on the basic one that would work well with iTunes.

http://homepage.mac.com/cudmore/KuroBox/Menu42.html

Now I am thinking of switching, but not sure which one to go to. I want to do some work in Java, so I suspect I will need Debian or Gentoo, but if I can get Java 1.4 or 5 on Sylver's Image it would be my first choice.

Mark

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]