Kurobox NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Kuro Community
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:42 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:45 pm 

flipside wrote:
yeah ive done some hard googleing and found nothing in english , i have a firend with a japanese wife you could i guess translate it as long as its not to long or uses technical jargon (unlikley huh).

Heh, unless your friend's wife is a computer geek, chances are good she'll be able to make as much sense of it as you will.

If you do get one, let me know. I've been contemplating getting one, and I've been trying to rope one of my friends here in Japan to get one too (basically, trying to start a community of English-speaking hackers for the lantank). He already started translating some of the hacking instructions into English, although I dunno if he's actually gonna buy one... heh... (^_^);;

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:10 pm 

Fr0

By chance have you read the description for the GLAN Tank? I've looked it over and with what I have been able to understand, it seems like the box is already setup with Debian and is ready to go aside from having to enable telnet via the web interface. When that is done, it acts and has the same capabilities as the Kuro, am I wrong in this? Thanks. For me, for the additional $60 for the second drive bay, better cpu, and faster transfer performance, it seems the Tank is a pretty good buy. I'm planning on having a friend in Japan buy one and bring it back to the US once I've confirmed the 100V power supply will be okay here.

David

Fr0 wrote:
flipside wrote:
yeah ive done some hard googleing and found nothing in english , i have a firend with a japanese wife you could i guess translate it as long as its not to long or uses technical jargon (unlikley huh).

Heh, unless your friend's wife is a computer geek, chances are good she'll be able to make as much sense of it as you will.

If you do get one, let me know. I've been contemplating getting one, and I've been trying to rope one of my friends here in Japan to get one too (basically, trying to start a community of English-speaking hackers for the lantank). He already started translating some of the hacking instructions into English, although I dunno if he's actually gonna buy one... heh... (^_^);;

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:12 am 

Prometheus wrote:
Fr0

By chance have you read the description for the GLAN Tank? I've looked it over and with what I have been able to understand, it seems like the box is already setup with Debian and is ready to go aside from having to enable telnet via the web interface. When that is done, it acts and has the same capabilities as the Kuro, am I wrong in this? Thanks. For me, for the additional $60 for the second drive bay, better cpu, and faster transfer performance, it seems the Tank is a pretty good buy. I'm planning on having a friend in Japan buy one and bring it back to the US once I've confirmed the 100V power supply will be okay here.

David

I have read the description of the GLANtank (and I actually own the consumer-friendly single-drive version). Here's what I can tell you about it:

(+ good, * bad, - ugly)
+ Xscale 80219 400MHz Processor (but all of the kernel stuff says that it's a 80321 board).
- no FPU (ugh...)
* Kernel 2.6.10-iop1 (with a bunch of IOData fixes and whatnot)
+ Redboot for the bootloader (which will allow you to switch kernels if you do compile your own).
+ Compiling your own kernel (with the 2.6.10 IOData kernel code) is a snap, and booting them is no problem.
+ Full Debian support. I'm pretty sure that the install CD is just a bootable/installable Debian Sarge (ARM) disk.
+ Full bi-directional serial, no mods necessary
- You must order the IOData serial cable online, and I don't think they ship internationally
- (afaik) English-speaking hacker population: 1 person (me!)
- 100 watt power supply (that could cause some problems in the US)
- Did I mention the lack of a hacker community?

If you want any more info about the NAS that I own (which would be identical to a GLANTank... except it's the consumer-friendly single-drive version), I can post it (things like /proc info, dmesg, etc).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:39 pm 

Fr0 wrote:

Is this your web page?
http://dev.gentoo.org/~vapier/superh/lantank/HOWTO.html
That guy is working on getting Gentoo on the Lantank.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:04 pm 

A big origato for your response.

Fr0 wrote:
I have read the description of the GLANtank (and I actually own the consumer-friendly single-drive version). Here's what I can tell you about it:

(+ good, * bad, - ugly)
+ Xscale 80219 400MHz Processor (but all of the kernel stuff says that it's a 80321 board).
- no FPU (ugh...)

WHAT!?! Holy cow, in all my research about the CPU I missed that entirely. Not having a FPU might be tough when it comes to creating or expanding rars.

Fr0 wrote:
* Kernel 2.6.10-iop1 (with a bunch of IOData fixes and whatnot)
+ Redboot for the bootloader (which will allow you to switch kernels if you do compile your own).
+ Compiling your own kernel (with the 2.6.10 IOData kernel code) is a snap, and booting them is no problem.
+ Full Debian support. I'm pretty sure that the install CD is just a bootable/installable Debian Sarge (ARM) disk.
+ Full bi-directional serial, no mods necessary

Sounds promising...

Fr0 wrote:
- You must order the IOData serial cable online, and I don't think they ship internationally

Here's a stupid question, when am I going to need the serial cable? Given I have not worked with a headless appliance before, I'm not sure why a serial cable is neccessary if the device supports telnet. Although I can imagine screwing up the network connection and needing to go in through the serial connection. Aside from that, I'm not sure when else I would use this. In either case, I will just need to remember to order that along with the Lantank.

Fr0 wrote:
- (afaik) English-speaking hacker population: 1 person (me!)
- 100 watt power supply (that could cause some problems in the US)

The limited english-hacker community does stir some hesitation, but I figure I can always fall back to using it the way it was intended, as a NAS, and benefit by the performance gains over the Kuro shown by some of their benchmarks.

Lastly the 100V does also put some doubt in my purchase of the Glan Tank. It's my hope to integrate it into my entertainment center and I would like to avoid having an additional transformer nearby if I can. Currently I have a post at iodata's forum asking about this.

Fr0 wrote:
If you want any more info about the NAS that I own (which would be identical to a GLANTank... except it's the consumer-friendly single-drive version), I can post it (things like /proc info, dmesg, etc).

Overall the GLAN tank does look appealing on both the price and performance point over the Kuro, but the limited english support does pose some concern. I'm just curious how much "hacking" will I have to do to get what I want going. I primarily want to get:

-FTP
-Web (maybe)
-Proxy
-Samba
-Bit torrent client (I ocassionally get some anime fansubs)
-Typical archive utils like rar and par

I do realize that some of these services are already integrated into the base configuration. As of yet, I can't say that I am a linux junky. I've never had time to fully mess around with the CLI although I can probably say I'm a novice. I am a computer techy by trade but I mostly mess with Windows and ocassionally OSX.

I've thus far installed Debian, RH, Slackware, Suse, Solaris, and some smaller flavors for PPC platform. I figured getting one of these Tanks would force me to spend sometime getting it to work the way I want it to. If I were still in HS or college, I would jump right into this, but with my limited free time, I would hate killing it all on the tank. Might I be biting off more than I can chew here? Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:15 pm 

Prometheus wrote:
WHAT!?! Holy cow, in all my research about the CPU I missed that entirely. Not having a FPU might be tough when it comes to creating or expanding rars.

It doesn't seem to be too big of a problem for me, but yes, it could become a problem in some situations. I believe that the kernel does have Floating Point emulation enabled by default (I dunno for sure... haven't really looked through the dmesg THAT carefullly), but I haven't noticed it being a problem yet.

Prometheus wrote:
Here's a stupid question, when am I going to need the serial cable? Given I have not worked with a headless appliance before, I'm not sure why a serial cable is neccessary if the device supports telnet. Although I can imagine screwing up the network connection and needing to go in through the serial connection. Aside from that, I'm not sure when else I would use this. In either case, I will just need to remember to order that along with the Lantank.

For example, if you want to get to the Redboot console prompt and be able to load up other kernels/distros before commiting to them, the serial console is VERY handy. Right now, on my gigalandisk, I have the stock distribution still running, but I have also repartitioned the disk to create another bootable distribution that I've been testing. This way, if I screw up the testing distribution, I can boot back to the (perfectly working) stock firmware and make any changes to the testing environment no problem.

Prometheus wrote:
The limited english-hacker community does stir some hesitation, but I figure I can always fall back to using it the way it was intended, as a NAS, and benefit by the performance gains over the Kuro shown by some of their benchmarks.

Lastly the 100V does also put some doubt in my purchase of the Glan Tank. It's my hope to integrate it into my entertainment center and I would like to avoid having an additional transformer nearby if I can. Currently I have a post at iodata's forum asking about this.

Honestly, I haven't noticed any significant performance gains between my KuroHG and this Giga-landisk. granted the CPU speed is higher, but not by much, and it really doesn't translate to any major speed improvement. I'm guessing the only major improvement you'll see is if you're on a gigabit LAN segment, and you're doing large-file transfers. Other than that, I'd say it's pretty much the same.

Ummm, the glantank might be ok, but I'll tell you to stay away from the regular giga-landisks. Those take alot more hacking (afaik), and your results may vary. I'm guessing you're looking at the glantank anyway. As I've said before, (afaik) the glantank is just running straight ARM debian. So, it's basically like having a regular debian box, and you can install anything that's in Debian-stable. I haven't had much luck with Debian testing (GCC 4.x screws up kernel compiles, from what I can see, but the Stable GCC 3.3 or 3.4 compiles the kernel perfectly).

Prometheus wrote:
Overall the GLAN tank does look appealing on both the price and performance point over the Kuro, but the limited english support does pose some concern. I'm just curious how much "hacking" will I have to do to get what I want going. I primarily want to get:

-FTP
-Web (maybe)
-Proxy
-Samba
-Bit torrent client (I ocassionally get some anime fansubs)
-Typical archive utils like rar and par

I do realize that some of these services are already integrated into the base configuration. As of yet, I can't say that I am a linux junky. I've never had time to fully mess around with the CLI although I can probably say I'm a novice. I am a computer techy by trade but I mostly mess with Windows and ocassionally OSX.

I've thus far installed Debian, RH, Slackware, Suse, Solaris, and some smaller flavors for PPC platform. I figured getting one of these Tanks would force me to spend sometime getting it to work the way I want it to. If I were still in HS or college, I would jump right into this, but with my limited free time, I would hate killing it all on the tank. Might I be biting off more than I can chew here? Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

As I've said to others, if you have limited free time, you might want to stick with the Kuro. You'll be spending alot of free time toying with the box to get it working, unless you're ok with the stock Debian core. As far as I can tell, the stock Debian install works great (although, my giga-landisk has issues with the button daemon not working, but the glantank doesn't have this problem), and it's pretty easy to use especially if you know debian.

awx wrote:
Is this your web page?
http://dev.gentoo.org/~vapier/superh/lantank/HOWTO.html
That guy is working on getting Gentoo on the Lantank.

No, I haven't setup a blog/webpage about hacking this thing yet. Plus, that's for the SH4 version of the Landisk/Lantank, not the Xscale version. The glantank and the giga-landisks are all Xscale-ARM processors, which are (somewhat) supported in Gentoo (running experimental Gentoo-embedded). I've tried Gentoo-embedded on this thing, but it doesn't work as well as I would like (nor as well as it works on the Kuro).

If anyone does get one of these boxes, let me know. I'd be interested in having somebody help me with my hacking efforts... ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:20 pm 

Thanks for the info!

I am still interested in purchasing the Glan Tank. The idea of being able to fall back on the stock kernal will be nice incase I seriously screw up anything. I did find the serial cable... $35US!?!? I guess it beats having to build one. Btw, I was referencing this site when I mentioned the performance differences between the Kuro and the Tank:

http://www.iodata.jp/promo/bb/landisk/h ... tion01.htm

The only major obstacle for me is the 100V powersupply. I'm trying to get in contact with iodata's US office to find if the US landisks follow the same electrical output specs as the Glan Tank and what I can expect to pay for it. I will let you know when I have one of these in hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:34 am 

Prometheus wrote:
Thanks for the info!

I am still interested in purchasing the Glan Tank. The idea of being able to fall back on the stock kernal will be nice incase I seriously screw up anything. I did find the serial cable... $35US!?!? I guess it beats having to build one. Btw, I was referencing this site when I mentioned the performance differences between the Kuro and the Tank:

http://www.iodata.jp/promo/bb/landisk/h ... tion01.htm

The only major obstacle for me is the 100V powersupply. I'm trying to get in contact with iodata's US office to find if the US landisks follow the same electrical output specs as the Glan Tank and what I can expect to pay for it. I will let you know when I have one of these in hand.

Yeah, I've seen this before. I can also tell you that on my network (100TX network), and with my own testing (I've repartitioned the hard disk and installed various distributions probably around 20 times now), that there really isn't THAT much of a difference between the KuroHG and the Gigalandisk.

Anyway, if you do get one of these, can you document what the setup does (what the partitions look like, etc), and possibly iso the CD's for me? I'd be interested to have the Glantank CD, especially if they offer the source for the LED driver module.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:47 pm 

Has anyone tried this [below] out with their GLANTANK..?

Also, is anyone interested in helping me purchase a GLANTANK from Akihabara and shippng it to my USA address?

GLAN Tank as a HDD video recorder
http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl=en ... 26pwst%3D1

GLANTANK videotaping with an iEPG
http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl=en ... en%26lr%3D

This looks HOT!

Thanks,
Fabian.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:11 pm 

Im out in the market for another nas box, and ran across everyone looking for the glantank. Heres the link to someone that carries it here in the states.

http://www.smartimports.net/proddetail. ... d=GLANTANK

Heres where I got the link from if you want to go digging through looking for information on the beast.

http://www.iodata.com/usa/forum/showthread.php?p=8466

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:09 pm 

Good catch,

I was actually respobsible for making this happen after having begged everyone I could find to sell me a glantank, and being ignored.

I own a 750GB glantank now and it absolutly rocks. I also have a USB TV tuner with web EPG on this NAS and I love it.

F.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:36 am 

flamaest wrote:
Good catch,

I was actually respobsible for making this happen after having begged everyone I could find to sell me a glantank, and being ignored.

I own a 750GB glantank now and it absolutly rocks. I also have a USB TV tuner with web EPG on this NAS and I love it.

F.

You have a PM

Figured talking about the glantank in the kurobox forum was a bit out of place :)

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2