Kurobox NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Kuro Community
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:15 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:54 pm 

I've added an article to the Project Debian wiki on setting up a Galleon Media Server for TiVo using a Kurobox/HG. I had picked up a new HG box recently and the setup turned out OK. I suspect other Kurobox users are doing the same but I couldn't find any references on the site.

Any comments or corrections are appreciated.

Thanks,
chip_r

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:57 pm 

I've installed both jre 1.5 and galleon 2.3.0.

Both the run.sh and gui.sh start successfully, although it takes a long time and my load is huge (over 9) at one point on my 200mhz box.

I can access the galleon client with vnc, but performance is bad. I'm not sure if this is related to the cpu, or the fact that I have 3 Tivo's, one being a Series 3, and the others Series 2. The read of recorded shows never completes.

Do you know of anyway to limit galleon's access to just 1 Tivo, a Series 2?

T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:02 pm 

So it sounds like you have both the server and GUI going plus VNC. That's very good.

I agree, the performance is terrible when you use VNC to access the GUI application running on the Kurobox. Your read of recorded shows may be timing out and not related at all to the Series 3 box on the network.

There are two things slowing you down:

1) When you first start the server, Galleon is busy building databases and communicating with the TiVos on your network. It will speed up slightly when the server completes this build.

2) VNC and the GUI really slows down the Kurobox. Also Java is a system hog.

The second is by far the biggest issue. So to make your Kurobox server workable, do your INITIAL setup by entering your MAK and recordings paths using VNC and the GUI on the Kurobox (just be really patient). After that, exit the GUI and kill the VNC server on the Kurobox (vncserver -kill).

Using another host (such as a PC or Linux box), install Galleon and run a "headless" system. The other host will accesses the server on the Kurobox and you can maintain ToGo and GoBack easily without making the Kurobox run the VNC server and the Java GUI app. The Galleon server (of course) still needs to run on the Kurobox.

Now here's an important note: Assuming you will use a Windows-based host to run the GUI, you need to stop the Galleon server on the Kurobox during the Windows Galleon installation. I didn't do that and caused myself lots of grief when I had two servers communicating with my TiVos.

The way I did this was:

1) Kill the Galleon server on the Kurobox (the ./run.sh and any and all Java processes). You can even just shutdown the Kurobox to be certain.

2) Completely install Galleon for Windows on a XP machine and let it communicate with the TiVos.

3) Go into the XP Start > Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > Administrative Tools > Services and stop and disable the Galleon server startup. Reboot your PC and check the Services to make sure the server didn't start up.

4) Create a desktop shortcut with the location set to:

"C:\Program Files\Galleon\bin\gui.exe" 192.168.1.14

Note that the quotes are needed and the IP that follows is the IP address of your Kurobox server. The one shown is my IP.

5) Finally, bring your Kurobox back up, source ./galleon_startup to set your PATH and environment variables and execute the ./run.sh script. Don't start the VNC server or GUI on your Kurobox, there's no need for them now. Go back to your PC and double-click your shortcut and (hopefully) you can access your "headless" Kurobox server from your PC.

The only problem I've ever encounted with this is if I set up a directory path. The Linux host wants forward slashes and XP wants backward ones. On the rare occasion where I need to do this, I do run the GUI on the Kurobox but only briefly (because running two big Java apps server + GUI is just painfully slow.)

This should bring the performance up on the Galleon server to a more usable level.

chip_r

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]