Kurobox NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Kuro Community
It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:45 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: how to use USB device?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:11 pm 

So I've decided to take the dive and get a Kurobox HG. I'll be mainly playing with it to do

Network Storage (duh)

Teamtalk/Ventrilo/TeamSpeak Server (for my house, whatever I can get to work)

Learn Linux (the hard way)

etc

Since I'm a newbie at Linux, I've decided that I'd use the Slyver project as my springboard into the unknown . I'd like to know though is Slyver Project as robust as the other Linux distros that other users have running on their boxes (Gentoo, Debian, Fedora, etc). Does it lack in any way anything that may be part of the whole "linux experience"?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:57 pm 

Here was my experience:

I tried doing the Debian install following instructions on the wiki, but got locked up at the same place twice.

Then I tried Sylver and it worked. There is one important thing lacking in Sylver's version, which is the apt package manager. Supposedly this is in the Debian versions that people have managed to make work OK.

I got started with Kurobox HG for an iTunes server. The version of mt-daapd was quite old, so I had to mess around with manually updating that, etc.

But it does have its fair share of cool things running. With Sylver it's a case of what you see is what you get - might be great, but hard to update or optimize.

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]