Kurobox NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Kuro Community
It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:44 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:50 am 

Folks,

My stereo died recently *sniff* and I am in the market for a new one. What I would like is to buy a unit that can connect to my Kuro box wirelessly through my home network and stream the music straight from the the Kuro. I would like to be able to browse the music from the stereo (my folder stucture is artist\album\track.mp3 - can you browse at folder level with these things?) without having to have any PC switched on (which seems to be the case with the stuff I found on the web).

It must also be easy enough to use that my wife can handle it :lol:

So, I have two questions:

1) Which Hi-Fi should I get? (I quite like the look of the Phillips MCW770, but I think it will only work with PC based serving software). I don't want to spend TOO much, but anything under £500 would be acceptable

2) What is the best streaming method - just using SMB, or some Kuro based service, jinzora/gnump etc

Cheers in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:10 am 

How about one of those Roku Soundbrdige style devices and mt-daapd?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:24 pm 

Good place to start

http://www.twonkyvision.com/

Supports kurobox or linkstation as server and a lot of client devices ranging from

http://www.rokulabs.com/products/soundbridge/index.php

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellit ... torWrapper

This lists the devices

http://www.twonkyvision.com/UPnP/devices.html

Post subject: SqueezeBox
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:46 pm 

I'd highly recommend a Squeezebox (http://www.slimdevices.com/). The Squeezebox3 is the current version. Costs about $300 but for that you get an audiophile device whose sound quality competes with CD players that cost thousands of dollars.

SlimServer is the open source server software that the device uses. It's good, and you can download it and the software player to test before you buy.

It runs well on my HG. I know plenty of people run it on regular Kuro Boxes and Linkstations, but I have a large library (11000 songs) and sometimes the UI is a bit sluggish, but it's very workable. I like having a low power device to do the serving

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:30 am 

Thanks for the quick feedback guys. I like the look of the Roku and the price is nice as well (found it for £127 at broadband buyer).

I heard some people have had problems with the Squeeze...

So come on guys - quick poll - who is using Roku, who is using Squeeze and who is using something else altogether?

All replies GREATLY appreciated!

Ban

Post subject: running a Slimp3
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:34 am 

I've been using an old slimp3 player that I got off ebay and it is great - my kuro HG is running slimserver happily. The range of plugins that are avialable means that you can have the slimp3/squeezebox show your daily astrology chart (which my daughter loves) to caller id display, and everything between.

The gui can be a bit sluggish when the kuro is having to do more than a few tasks at once, but it no big problem.

The only hassle is finding the time to rip my cd collection and get it all tagged properly.

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:30 am 

I have an IOData Linkplayer2. I would pass on this one. The firmware sucks. The developers keep screwing up the firmware and removing functionality. The DVD drive is sluggish and noisy. The video filters are designed wrong and require a mod to optimise them for HD. The software stinks. It is not UPnP compliant. There are third party servers for it but the developers won't allow the software to control all of the functions of the remote. I could go on, but suffice it to say that your money would be better spent on several dozen pairs of x-ray vision glasses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:41 am 

OK, based on your tips and a bit of web-trawling I have opted for the Roku Soundbridge (tell me, is it pure coincidence that the name is an anagram of Kuro?)

Anyway, it would appear my two streaming options are either slimserver or mt-daapd. It looks like slim does not support all the eye candy of soundbridge, but there may be speed issues with the itunes server.

Once again, all comments appreciated.

Ban

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:26 pm 

I find mt-daapd 2.3 to be very fast at indexing and serving the music to my Windows iTunes clients. If the Roku has to download and sort the full music catalog on it's own, I could see it being slow.

I briefly ran slimserver 5.2 on my HG and found it to be quite slow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:09 am 

OK, so I went for the ROKU and it is very nice indeed. My only question to you guys is this, sometimes the ROKU keeps 'pausing' in the middle of playing a track to buffer more data. Now, since my wireless network is 54Mbit, and the Kuro is otherwise idle why should this be? Interestingly, it always does it on the same tracks, and only a small percentage of my whole collection.

Any ideas anyone? Can I optimise my HD in the Kuro somehow?

Ta,

Ban

Post subject: I use a Roku
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:20 am 

I have a soundbridge M2000 which I bought secondhand specifically for this purpose. I have tested it with my laptop using iTunes and it works great. I am however having a few problems getting my Kurobox configured correctly to serve up audio.... buy hey.. I have a few other things on my plate at the moment (moving to the US, getting married, selling my house, starting a new job... all in the space of three months) so I won't be getting stuck into it again until some time in June[/i]

Never used Linux either.... what have I done? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:51 pm 

Just picked up one of these for less than $50 from Amazon

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellit ... torWrapper

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]