Kurobox NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Kuro Community
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:09 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:45 pm 

I successfully flashed my standard Kurobox to U-Boot 1.2.0, and upgraded the EM system to foonas, as well as upgrading the OS itself:

Code:
$ uname -a
Linux kurobox 2.6.24.2 #14 Tue Feb 12 08:20:51 CET 2008 ppc GNU/Linux

It all went smoothly, and everything is working quite well -- however -- something is happening that I can't explain. Every day at 1:15AM EST, my kurobox does a shutdown, after a 5 minute warning. In other words, it's not crashing, it's scheduled, but I cannot cancel the shutdown with 'shutdown -c'. There is nothing in any crontabs that would explain this scheduled shutdown.

The really, really strange thing is that the kurobox comes back up by itself 5 hours later at about 6:15AM EST. Now, this would be a pretty cool trick, if I had planned it that way, but frankly, I didn't think a timed startup was even possible without hardware hacking.

So my questions are:
    What could be shutting down my Kurobox?
    What could possibly be starting it back up 5 hours later?
Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:01 pm 

More information would be helpful. What Debian are you running? Freelink? or one of the other Debian Distros put together over time for the Kuro.

I would suspect the behavior you are experiencing is being caused by the "watchdog" program. avr_evtd or kuro_evtd

There is some info here:

http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.ph ... inkstation
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.ph ... _ppc_uartd
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php/AVR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:18 pm 

Thanks for your feedback -- I'll be happy to provide any more information that I can remember or find out. :)

I'm not using Freelink. As far as I can remember, I'm using a standard Debian PPC distribution. There were some wiki pages describing the upgrade, but I can't find them. After the upgrade, I did have some problems with the system rebooting soon after startup, which I solved by setting up avr_evtd, which is running now:
Code:
$ ps -ef  |grep evtd
root      2029     1  0 06:19 ?        00:00:00 /sbin/avr_evtd -d /dev/ttyS1

Oh for pete's sake, I didn't even realize that avr_evtd used a config file until I read that first link you provided. Guess what I found in my config file? :roll:
Code:
# MACRO day/group switching ON/OFF times in 24hr HH:MM
SUN-SAT=OFF=01:15,ON=06:20

Well that solves that mystery, doesn't it?

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! I obviously have memory problems. My *own* memory that is... :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:05 pm 

Argh! I spoke too soon. Having commented out that line in my avr_evtd config file, my Kurobox is no longer shutting down from 1:15-6:20 am.

Now, it's shutting down earlier, and it doesn't come back up, at least as long as I've waited:
Code:
Message from syslogd@kurobox at Wed Jun 11 23:54:09 2008 ...
kurobox logger[5072]: System shutdown in less than 5 minutes

I'm going to continue to investigate avr_evtd, but I really don't understand why it's shutting down at midnight now, when there is nothing in my config file that tells it to do so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:53 pm 

Fixed! I just set the TIMER parameter to OFF, because apparently even when SHUTDOWN is not set to anything, if the TIMER is ON, it defaults to shutting down at midnight. Phew!

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]