Kurobox NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Kuro Community
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:28 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:16 am 

Has anyone successfully upgraded to Etch?
When I did an "apt-get -s dist-upgrade" I noticed that udev was to be removed.
I'm using Sylver's latest "Improved Debian Image" for the Kuro-Box HG.

ed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:33 pm 

I would love to upgrade, but I fear that I will brick my install (and I can't be arsed with a re-install!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:26 pm 

I did a "apt-get -s dist-upgrade" too and noticed that udev would be removed, which made me a bit nervous. Theres also a few serious bugs in the debian BTS relating to udev problems on going from sarge to etch.

However an "aptitude -s dist-upgrade" says that udev will be upgraded, and it seems to be doing a lot more than apt-get besides. So i'm just about to that, if you don't hear back from me, i have a brick!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:18 am 

I got loads of seg faulting and eventually a brick, so bad that putting the HD in my ubuntu box caused "error 17" faults in GRUB!

Managed to recover the HD using an etch install (Diffrent version of GRUB) am currently re-installing my Kuro.

There may be problems in that Etch does not support 2.4 kernels which is the default for the Kuro.

Back to running Sylvers 2.6.18 image as the 2.6.20 kept reverting back to the 2.4 kernel (loader.o problem I suspect).

Might try going to etch with the fresh install.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:02 am 

I am running etch with no problems.
I started with sylver's debian image and then updated to http://sylver78.free.fr/kernel-2.6.20.1_kurobox_hg-20070308.tar.gz.
It was hit and miss booting this kernel but I had more success with the loader.o from sylver's image rather than the one packaged with this kernel update.
Having made sure it had booted into this 2.6.20.1 kernel I then flashed with Uboot following the 2.6.x instructions here http://www.kurobox.com/mwiki/index.php/HOWTO_U-Boot. Thereafter, it booted this kernel quickly and unfailingly.
I then did a apt-get dist-upgrade. Then apt-get install udev. It removed hotplug. There is no need to alter the sources.list because "stable" is now the "etch" repository.
$ cat /etc/debian_version shows version 4.0 thus confirming I am running etch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:17 am 

I've been up and running for 2 weeks now on etch. Basically I just did and apt-get update and upgrade keeping my old conf's when asked.

The initial upgrade resulted in a fairly large list of "held back" packages. I forced these with several re-installs.

I've only noted 3 issues. Reboot no longer works. Samba security now works (I think). And rrdtool had to be tweaked to support colons embedded in comments, as in timestamps.

I've turned my weekly cron reboot off. I would like some suggestions on getting this working again. It's a real pain walking up to the closet to manually power this one back on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:33 am 

upgrading to etch with 2.6.18 work like a charm, no problems what ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:15 pm 

Hi

I've been reading this thread and I'm still a little confused. :-(

I've installed the improved Debian image, debian-sarge-2.6.17.1-mh1_kuro-box-20060623.tgz
I've not installed any other mods, additions. Can I just dist-upgrade to etch or do I need to do any things else? u-boot, udev type stuff?

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:03 pm 

Hi Guys,

I currently have Gentoo on my Kuro-HG, but I’m keen to try out Debian.
Etch would be nice :D

There are a few suggestions in this thread? what is the best way for a relative noob?

Thanks in advance!
Stonie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:48 pm 

I upgrades to etch, and everything went well.

I used "aptitude dist-upgrade" and answerd "no" whenever it asked to replace a modified configuration file. (/etc/init.d/halt and /etc/init.d/reboot in particular.)

I started with Sylver's 2.6.17.1 image updated with his 2.6.18-1 kernel.

Stonie: The best way to get started with Debian on a Kuro Box is to look here: http://www.kurobox.com/mwiki/index.php/Debian_sylver

ed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 5:57 pm 

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 3:10 am 

Ok, I successfully installed Debian via the Sylver "improved" image 2.6.17.1. With this, things are looking good. Then tried to untar the kernel update for 2.6.20.1. reboot and I get a blinking light. Doesn't respond to either button at that point. After pulling the power plug, and rebooting-- it comes up to the original 2.4 kernel. Fortunately, I saved a copy of the /boot directory so I was able to put back 2.6.17.1, but what needs to be done to get the 2.6.20.1 update to operate? Jackdaw indicated it worked for him, what am I missing?

Sync

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:33 pm 

Sync - I had the same problem.
Having untarred the 2.6.20.1 image it kept booting into the 2.4 kernel.
I found that if I replaced the loader.o in /boot with the one from here http://www.kurobox.com/downloads/kernel/loader.o and if I deleted the folder "2.6.17.1-mh1_kuro-box" in /modules I would have a 50:50 chance of booting into 2.6.20.1. Just keep trying and you will get there. I also found that I had an even chance of booting succesfully with the loader.o in the original 2.6.17.1 Sylver Debian image (just extract it on another computer and copy it over to the Kuro).
Once I had successfully booted with this kernel I then followed the U-boot instructions here http://www.kurobox.com/mwiki/index.php/HOWTO_U-Boot for the 2.6 kernel and the Kuro HG.
Now that it uses u-boot instead of loader.o it boots 2.6.20.1 without fail.

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]