Kurobox NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Kuro Community
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:53 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:33 am 

Hi all,
I don't really know if ive missed it, although ive searched enough on this forum: Are the "kernel update only" files, accumulative? if i take the last one and tar it to the '/', will it work no-problem-what?

Thank you in advance.

Indicus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:06 am 

I went ahead and did exactly that, but have some problems with my build - if anyone knows the answer I would also be grateful for a response

Thanks

James

Never used Linux either.... what have I done? :)

Post subject: What kind of probs?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:13 am 

Hey James,

What kind of problems exactly? Have you tried all of them or just one? I want to install the tun device which contains in one of the latter updates, but really there are no instructions on how to do it except for "tar xvf to /"...

Hopefully s'one will give us a hand...

Indicus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:46 am 

I have to admit I installed them one after the other, as I couldnt tell whether they included all previous updates, I've not had any issues since.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:54 am 

Hi again,

Ive cought Sylver in the Developer section indicating that a tar into the root is enough. I tried that with the latest only kernel update and it worked like a charm. I only wanted to install the tun device for the OpenVPN server, so I don;t know anything more...but everything leads to the accumulative thought...

Indicus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:20 pm 

I installed Debian today on my Kuro HG using Sylver's image. All was well and everything worked as it should. Not content with this, I tried to update the kernel with http://sylver78.free.fr/kernel-2.6.20.1 ... 308.tar.gz . I copied this to the root file system and then entered this command "tar xzf kernel-2.6.20.1_kurobox_hg-20070308.tar.gz". On reboot I had one red L.E.D. flashing. I powered off and booted up and seem to be running the original kernel shipped with the Kurobox. If I enter "uname -a" I get the following output: "Linux KURO-BOX 2.4.17_mvl21 #24 2004ǯ 10·î 19Æü ²ÐÍËÆü 17:17:03 JST ppc GNU/Linux". I find this odd because I still get a Debian login message.
I'm new to Debian and Linux. Could someone tell me what I've done wrong and whether I can fix this without reinstalling.
Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:09 pm 

Sylver - the problem appears to be with the loader.o file. I replaced the one in the kernel update with the one from your system image (i.e. overwrote your new loader.o with your original one.) The HG now boots
2.6.20.1 fine. I assume the packaged loader.o is somehow corrupt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:46 am 

It still reverts to 2.4.17 occasionally. I've changed tu Uboot and all is well.

Post subject: 2.6.20.1 not booting...
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 3:28 am 

I've been having this problem as well-- and I even tried using the original loader.o from the 2.6.17.1 image with the 2.6.20.1 update, but that does the same thing-- I get a blinking green light on reboot that never goes away.

But then I tried doing a shutdown rather than a reboot after moving the 2.6.20.1 /boot directory back in place (kept a copy of the original just in case and it sure came in handy). Then, the boot came up. So it looks like I may have the "reboot is not working anymore" problem that I've seen mentioned elsewhere.

So then I read that the solution for many was to install U-Boot. However, after reading about what it does I'm not sure it's what I want-- as it apparently removes the ability to install over the network onto a blank drive. Since I've been using my kuro as a backup device, incrementally adding things to the drive until it gets full and then swapping the drive out for a new one and putting the old drive in a USB container for ready access, it would appear that U-Boot won't allow that in the future if I install it. My current scheme allows me to conveniently install a later OS every time I fill up an archive drive...

So, I'd kinda like to know just what the hubub over U-Boot is-- why would I want it, other than the fact it may cure the reboot problem I'm having with 2.6.20.1 right now?

Also, I'm thinking I'd like to be able to readily compile new kernel modules against my kernel, and it appears that none of the stock kernel images include the source tree that was used to build it-- seems like a glaring omission.

And lastly, where do I find out what debian packages I might want to add via apt-get? I'm a debian noob-- and so far have been finding packages I want by guessing what the name might be. I presume there's a better method than that...

Tx,

Sync

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:42 am 

Guys,

Has this been resolved? i just tried with http://sylver78.free.fr/kernel-2.6.20.2*
and it still seems to be a problem?

Do I need to go down the Uboot path? :?
Can someone answer sync's queries? above?

Hey Sync, you can search for packages here: http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

Cheers,
Stonie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:42 am 

I can confirm that Jackdaw's loader.o fix works, but as he says only some of the time, Not sure what the consequences are of this fix?

This temp fix will do for me, for the time being, However help may be on its way! read here:
http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1549

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:34 pm 

I had a lot of troubles after auto-updating to Etch. Finally I decided to go for U-boot and everything is working now as it should. Go for u-boot, you won't regret it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:58 am 

Yeah,I will go for u-boot.I hope what you say is real. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:51 am 

I've installed Sylver's improved Debian image and it's fun to work with. My question is (which I haven't found and answer elsewhere) what is "improved" about this image? Thanks.

Paul Krupa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:58 am 

Well I called that 'improved' because I've made some correction to the main debian image available for the kurobox. I can't remember all the corrections, but there was at least a correction to allow udev to be installed without messing up everything, and some scripts to enable 2.6 kernels (with loader.o module) at startup. Anyway it's not a revolution, it's just something to make it usable without problems on a kurobox ;)

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next