Kurobox NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Kuro Community
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:51 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
 Post subject: Please help
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:44 pm 

I have been trying for several days to install debian to my STANDARD (original) Kurobox. For some reason, when I perform the edits to configuration listed in the Wiki and in the posts, and save them in vi, they do not take and I am never able to telnet back in to my box. I finally figured out that the problem was that the box was changing my edits back on reboot. I have tried the :wq command, the ZZ command upon finishing my edits, and it does not work. I made sure to use write_ok on exit after untarring the debian tarball. I have tried both static and dynamic ip configurations, neither works. I can never find my box after I reboot the first time. Any ideas? Please help, everyone was a noob once.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:09 pm 

make sure you aren't editing files that are part of EM mode. those changes are not persistent. Only edit files that are on your hard disk (hda1)

Post subject: O.K....
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:27 pm 

How does one differentiate?

Post subject: Still not working
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:02 am 

I tried it again, and tracked by changes by viewing edited docs in an FTP browser. Changes were made to the filesystem where the tarball was unfolded. I noticed that I dd not have an /etc/hosts.allow file though. I quadruple checked all of my entries, unless I am misinterpreting the writer's number/values in the addresses. Still can't find the kuro after reboot. Is there some really obvious action that is so basic that no one thinks to mention it in the wikis?

Post subject: Does this look right?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:39 pm 

Do I need to be worried about loader.o or U boot separate and apart from the wiki procedure for installing Debian? It seems that the built-in kernel screws up the network settings on reboot. Is there some external process to disable the old kernel, or if that process is inherent to the debian install that does that, and specifically, what is it. Alternatively, could this be some failing in my network settings. My network has a DHCP server at 192.168.15.1. All of my nodes, then, have IP's of 192.168.15.x. Am I correct in assuming that my files should be edited as follows:

/etc/network/interfaces:
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.15.125
network 192.168.15.0
netmask 255.255.255.0
broadcast 192.168.15.255
gateway 192.168.15.1
iface lo inet loopback

etc/hosts.allow:
ALL : 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0
ALL : 192.168.15.0/255.255.255.0
ALL : 127.0.0.1

/etc/resolv.conf:
search
nameserver 192.168.15.1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:49 am 

Sympathy time! I am having the exact same issues. I couldn't telnet back into my box after the first reboot, so I toasted the hard drive and started all over. Now I'm still having some challenges.

I was having a problem trying to vi edit /etc/hosts via Windows XP command prompt telnet - it would always crash (lockup) before I was done with the changes. I have kept my ftp connection to the box open, fortunately, which gives me the ability to at least see what's there and edit some files.

But I can't telnet back into the box! Using XP command prompt, PuTTY (telnet, SSH), all fail. I too will attempt to reproduce everything that happens.

root/kuroadmin no longer works for telnet - SSH doesn't even get to the point of asking me for a login (Network error - connection refused).

hda is not showing up under /dev - just /dev/fd, /dev/pts, and /dev/stdin.

Of course I haven't rebooted yet but I'm scared to until I get this sorted.

/etc/network/interfaces:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
hostname `hostname`

So at least currently it is on DCHP which would make sense, it got 192.168.11.103 from my Linksys.

Wiki says this (for static IP):
/etc/network/interfaces:
auto eth0 lo
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.0.100
network 192.168.0.0
netmask 255.255.255.0
broadcast 192.168.0.255
gateway 192.168.0.1
iface lo inet loopback

Wiki says this (for DHCP):
auto eth0 lo
iface eth0 inet dhcp
iface lo inet loopback

----------------------------------
/etc/resolv.conf:
nameserver 68.238.64.12
nameserver 68.238.96.12
search vz.dsl.genuity.net
This is interesting, my internet domain actually is vz.dsl.genuity.net, is this the default value or did it actually pick it up from my router somehow?
Anyway, the Wiki says it should be this:
search
nameserver <DNS ip address>

To be honest I don't normally specify a DNS server IP and don't know from Shinola on that.

/etc/hostname:
HD-HGLAN-EM

Wiki:
/etc/hostname:
Jeeves

I presume this is just a cute suggestion so that the hostname is not the default, but if everyone followed this and set it to Jeeves, that's not much better is it?

/etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.11.200 HD-HGLAN-EM

Wiki says this should be:
127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.0.100 Jeeves

(I did intend to use 192.168.11.200 as the static IP for this box)
====================================
There is no default hosts.allow, nor a hosts.deny.

The wiki says this:

/etc/hosts.allow:
ALL : 192.168.x.0/255.255.255.0
ALL : 127.0.0.1

Now - does this mean I should really type that in verbatim, or substitute "11" for "x"? See this is the level of noob I am.
======================================
Well that's where I am now, any specific guidance would be greatly appreciated. I can edit over ftp so the telnet business is something of a mystery.

Additional info:

I connected via ftp to kuro-box.
My router DHCP clients table shows KURO-BOX-EM.
I cannot initiate telnet to either of the above host names, but directly to 192.168.11.103, the response is:

Kuroutoshikou KURO-BOX/HG (IESHIGE)
Linux/ppc 2.4.17_mvl21

KURO-BOX-EM login:
Password:

but as I said before, root/kuroadmin doesn't work.
=============================================

Thanks!

DL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:59 am 

I'll go out on a limb and say I think that SOME of the settings are changed immediately when the Debian distro got installed, overwriting some of the settings I used when originally logging in.

So in the case of having some problem editing the files as stated, in one telnet session, I am out of luck there... so I can at least edit any existing files using my ftp client, and put up new ones similarly, but I'm guessing that if I disconnected it I would have the same issues reconnecting as I am having with telnet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:13 am 

Here's the contents of the /etc/passwd file:

root:YcLulK.3sF6y6:0:0:root:/root:/bin/ash
bin:*:1:1:bin:/bin:
daemon:*:2:2:daemon:/usr/sbin:
sys:*:3:3:sys:/dev:
adm:*:4:4:adm:/var/adm:
sync:*:6:8:sync:/bin:/bin/sync
shutdown:*:7:9:shutdown:/sbin:/sbin/shutdown
halt:*:8:10:halt:/sbin:/sbin/halt
operator:*:12:0:operator:/root:
ftp:*:15:14:ftp:/var/ftp:
nobody:*:99:99:nobody:/tmp:/bin/sh

Anyone see a way to login for a reboot other than root?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:18 am 

Going out on another limb, I'm going to guess that the instructions provided on the Wiki have not actually been tested on the latest Debian distro which is:

debian_2005_04_09_dist.tgz

There's no indication of which release the notes are relevant to. If anyone actually HAS done the step by step on the wiki with this release, please speak up.

Seems like most people are using the Sylver version (the instructions for that one are a little hard to follow though) or Gentoo. I think that is going to be my next step. Good luck Big_Dawg, I will share any results + or - with you.

Cha-cha-cha,

DL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:10 pm 

Hi guys,

I can confirm that i originally installed slyvers image successfully by following the wiki.
Are you rebooting into EM or the normal mode, have you tried using the user/password: tmp-kun/tmp-kun

Cheers,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:46 am 

Didn't try Sylver's yet. tmp-kun/tmp-kun didn't work previously.

Starting over (sigh) at least I didn't put the cover back on the box!

DL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:32 am 

digital larry: Yea, it looks like you have the same problem. The kuro is overwriting my static ip settings with the ones that you stated. I have been trying the distro you refer to as well as an even newer distro (linux-2.6.17.1) that I found in this forum. You raise an interesting issue though. I think I will try installing an old image of the debian install and then upgrade with apt (this should work, right?).

gordoni: Of course we reboot into EM Mode, the first time - followed the wiki TO THE LETTER, about 6 times now by my count. Can't use the password if you can't find the ip of the device to start the logon process.[/code]

Post subject: Jtag
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:42 pm 

would jtagging help in loading other distros or getting uboot without using the telnet or other network interface?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:29 pm 

To the extent that I have used JTAG on the systems we use here at work, it is only usable for low level stuff like flashing the boot loader.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:43 pm 

No. If you want to install u-boot you can do so from EM mode. Just put the binaries on your disk by FTP and flash it with dd

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next