Kurobox NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Kuro Community
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:10 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Controlling Fan Speed
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:00 am 

I just purchased a new Kurobox and loaded Debian from: http://www.kurobox.com/sylver/debian/ke ... 103.tar.gz

The box is working great but the fan seems to be running at full speed even though it feels cool along with the air coming out of it.

I saw a script on the wiki to control the fan; however, it doesn't appear that Debian has the hardware monitor for the temperature control. This wasn't a huge issue as I could just echo the commands to /dev/ttyS1 and I don't notice any difference in the sounds of the fan spinning.

Are there any known issue with Debian and controlling the fan speed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:11 pm 

did you try the commands to make the LEDs blink ?
to check if you're running the commands properly ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:06 pm 

Thanks for the suggestion. It's working correctly now. I guess I wasn't running the commands via root before and this caused this commands to not work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:08 pm 

Since you're using a recent Debian distro, thought I ask you some questions.

I tried to load Debian initially, following the instructions on the Wiki, but hit a dead end in the procedure several times over. I concluded that the instructions didn't match whatever distro I was attempting to install.

Then I got the "Sylver" distro, which is OK, though I haven't been able to get the external USB drive connected to the USB port to be recognized by Windows as a "shared" drive (the other shares on the internal HD of KB-HG do work OK).

Also I haven't had any success using this to enable the KB-HG to be used for a network printer server, though the web UI would seem to indicate that this is supported (in the default image at any rate).

Now that I'm a bit more comfortable with this box I'd give the Debian a shot if it could easily be convinced to support sharing of the USB hard drive and use as a printer server for a connected USB printer.

My main use for this is mt-daapd (Firefly iTunes server) which works fine on the Sylver (actually I compiled the latest beta of mt-daapd from source - was I scared? yes) but that is working OK.

If I could get either of those USB things working on the Sylver OS I'd be just as happy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:35 pm 

I successfully installed debian using the instructions at: http://www.kurobox.com/mwiki/index.php/Debian_install

To get network shares you see under Windows working you'll want to install the Samba package. You then need to edit /etc/samba/samba.conf to add the shares you want to see. I also recommend using the encrypted passwords. Just be sure to use smbpasswd -a <username> to add any new users to allow access.

For USB I installed the hotplug package. This allowed my USB thumb drive to be detected; however, auto mounting on inserting not seem to work. I did modify the /etc/fstab file so it should work on reboot.

What I did was write a small shell script that runs every minute as root via Cron. This monitors /proc/scsi/usb-devices. I then mount the usb device, move over podcasts I've downloaded via podget and then umounting the drive.

Try installing debian again if you want. If you have problem please start a new thread and this will allow people to more easily find and help you.

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]