Kurobox NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Kuro Community
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:03 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: ppc_uartd and the others
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:06 am 

Hi again,

After upgrading my Debian OS by apt-get, I decided to reboot. Since then, my Kurobox DIAG led flashes 6 times in red.

I have put out my HDD and used a Linux Live CD as to check the filesystem. Apart from messages indicaing that "The last mount time is on the future" for all the 3 partitions, there was no other message. I assume then that the filesystem is clean.

So ppc_uartd is left to be the suspect of that. The thing is, what do I do with that? Is it installed in the original HG's ROM or is it in the Debian installation? Is there any way to replace it, or this is not finally the point?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Indicus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:26 am 

If there's an ap_servd (or apservd) file in /var/lock/ or /var/run/, delete it.

I suggest you install my upgradehelper package, which contains (lb_)worm's avr_evtd.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:14 am 

indicus wrote:
Hi again,

After upgrading my Debian OS by apt-get, I decided to reboot. Since then, my Kurobox DIAG led flashes 6 times in red.

I have put out my HDD and used a Linux Live CD as to check the filesystem. Apart from messages indicaing that "The last mount time is on the future" for all the 3 partitions, there was no other message. I assume then that the filesystem is clean.

So ppc_uartd is left to be the suspect of that. The thing is, what do I do with that? Is it installed in the original HG's ROM or is it in the Debian installation? Is there any way to replace it, or this is not finally the point?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Indicus

I had exactly the same problem like you on my kuro hg after doing apt-get upgrade. What I done is changed the loader.o to uboot, then upgrading the kernel to sylver's 2.6.20.1(uboot compatible and not loader.o). Then apt-get upgrade.
Everything is running absolutely fine now. If you want, I can post my dmesg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 2:27 pm 

When I upgraded from Sarge to Etch, I followed the Debian recommended upgrade procedure, and had no problems whatsoever.

Linux Kernel 2.6/PPC (and more!) for Linkstation/KuroBox/HG/HS/Terastation from http://hvkls.dyndns.org

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 1:50 pm 

hi again guys,

It is getting really irritating...i managed to reinstall Debian again on the hdd, keeping my data untouched. Ive seen in another post, that loader.o is basically causing problems to booting. Am thinking of migrating to U-Boot. Is the U-Boot linkstation solution installed in the same way as described in the HOW U-Boot article by Sylver?

Andre: If I upgrade the shipped KErnel to 2.6 using your webinstaller, what will contribure to the corrupted loader.o ?

Thx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:26 pm 

I don't know of any corruption.

Linux Kernel 2.6/PPC (and more!) for Linkstation/KuroBox/HG/HS/Terastation from http://hvkls.dyndns.org

Post subject: same here
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:00 am 

I've got the same problem here: reboot and after that nothing!

What went wrong here? Would it be possible to go into EM mode, or mount the HD somewhere and correct the problem? I don't want to reinstall the machine completely from scratch...

My guess is that some boot scripts changed due the apt-get update?

thanks for any help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:19 pm 

I ran into the same problem as you: I had a perfectly working Debian installation (Kernel 2.6.17 with loader.o) and too much time on my hands so i ran apt-get upgrade... After reboot 1) blinking power light 2) no boot 3) no clue how to fix it :( I would be still very interested in finding a way to fix it without complet reinstallation. Could I just disable the start-up script that loads the 2.6.20 kernel and stay with the original kernel in flash? If yes, what is the name of the script, I could not find it.

I restarted from scratch with a new HD, but I have again strange problems (apt-get installations hang with segmentation faults, etc.). In the end, I think uboot is the only way to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:41 pm 

I have given up and reinsalled Debian (for the most part; my "services" are up and running again).

I have no clue, what caused the problems. I want to look at:
- fsck settings / fstab (pass column)
- hdparam?

Maybe some apt-get update automagically updated settings in here? Can that happen?

(for the record: I just attached a blank HD, went into EM mode, reattached the original drive and wiped /dev/hda1. This saves you a lengthy backup of /dev/hda3 ;-) )

I think uboot is the way to go, but is quite some work to setup. (e.g. netcat, etc.)

Post subject: fstab
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:45 pm 

is this a sensible line to have in fstab:
/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults,noatime,errors=remount-ro 0 0

Would the Kuro boot on errors with a read-only fs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:29 am 

The /tmp directory must be writable, I guess

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]