Kurobox NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Kuro Community
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:27 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: kernel upgrade
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:30 am 

Hi

I installed the http://www.kurobox.com/debian/downloads ... 9_dist.tgz
version a long time ago. I've just upgraded to etch (with a lot of pain)...

But how do I get a new kernel on the box?
I see that there are kenels at genbako.vodapone.com/ and the Sylver version.

What do I need to do?
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:52 am 

Never tried one of the newer kernels (my KBs are not connected to the wild wild west, so I don't feel the need).
But have a look in this thread: http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1417 (you might want to change to Sylver's image, which I believe is just an upgraded genbako image)

Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:53 am 

That thread looks interesting. I too have issues with the kernel, it will only run "Linux 2.4.17_mvl21 #24 2004ǯ 10·î 19Æü ²ÐÍËÆü 17:17:03 JST ppc GNU/Linux"

It doesn't like booting either, you need to power on, pull the power and then restart the box and it will then boot. Odd.

Is there a way of installilng the Sylver's image without loosing all the configuration that I have set up? exim, IMAP, Apache, samba etc?

Do you think Sylver's image will fix the kernel issues?
Cheers for the advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:15 pm 

It seems that you have more problems with the box (perhaps the problems you had with the dist-upgrade?).

Anyway the only way to install a new image is to start from scratch. If you would like to save your config, save the necessary files first. You can then later use them.
Also if you have a standard KB (no HG) you have to make sure to use the latest Sylver as that seems to be the only version that support the standard KB. Although it states it is not tested.

There is also some thread in the 'general development' forum on using a new kernel, plus a wiki page. Try to read those first before doing anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:37 am 

jamesho : Take care not using the "Sylver image" but the "Debian image improved by Sylver" (the first image is an outdated image I've build a long time ago :))
More informations are available here : http://www.kurobox.com/mwiki/index.php/Debian_sylver

I've uploaded several kernel updates and the latest one is supposed to works on standard kurobox (Some people confirmed to me that it is working and some others are reporting some kernel panics in log files ...). I didn't update the kernel image to keep as much time as possible for a new kernel patch I'm working on, so don't expect new updates until I've finished my kernel patch ;)

rosco_pc is right, my Debian image is based on genbako's image. I've included several corrections (allowing udev to be installed for example, and allowing a 2.6 kernel to be loaded). You can try to do a diff between my release and genbako's one if you don't want to delete your system ;)

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]