Kurobox NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Kuro Community
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:27 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: loader.o --> u-boot
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:30 am 

When going from loader.o to u-boot, are there any pitfalls or things to be aware of on a Debian install?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:16 pm 

Beyond the usual bricking your Kuro type concerns there shouldn't be anything to worry about. When i did it i made sure i got it working with the RAM build of u-boot first. When i used the flash version there were no problems.

Cheers,

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:30 pm 

OK, I think I'm very close. I did get the "Try out the RAM build of u-boot" to work thanks to the section "If you are not running 2.4.x kernels". It's the "Install u-boot into FLASH" that I may need some clarification. Since I do boot with a different kernel via loader.o, I need to do these last 2 sections in EM mode. It isn't clear how to do the flash piece in EM mode so I sorta winged it. Of course it didn't work.

What I did after the RAM piece worked, I went through the steps here again but instead of using the u-boot-hg.ram.bin in

Code:
# insmod -f uloader.o uboot=/usr/src/u-boot-hg.ram.bin laddr=0x07f00000

I used u-boot-hg.flash.bin. For me that didn't work since my kurobox hung after the init 6 command. Fortunately, it came back after I cycled the power.

Please advise.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:56 pm 

OK, if I could follow simple instructions, I would be dangerous.

Case in point:

Quote:
We will now use the RAM version of U-Boot to load the flash version

Duh

I'm now in the final stages. It all seems to have worked from what I can tell. The last thing it talks about is the need to update the /etc/fstab Before doing this, the instructions state that you should boot the old kernel from flash again via

Code:
run flboot

This always boots up in the 2.4 EM mode flavor. It than talks about how the fstab should look using /dev/sda# instead of /dev/hda#. Do I really need to have it in EM to do this? Could I just boot up with the latest kernel to make the change?

Also, what I have on my list is quite different than what the example shows:

Code:
/dev/hda1       /               ext3    defaults,noatime,errors=remount-ro      0 0
proc            /proc           proc    defaults                        0 0
none            /dev/pts        devpts  gid=5,mode=20                   0 0
/dev/hda2       swap            swap    defaults                        0 0
/dev/hda3       /mnt            ext3    defaults,noatime                0 0

Are the mount points /proc and /dev/pts needed? Should the options for partitions 1 and 3 just be default or should I leave them the way they are?

I don't fully comprehend why hda needs to be changed to sda....I know it's because of the whole IDE to PATA change but if hda wouldn't work, how am I able to see hda1 and launch apps from it without making any changes to the fstab?

Thanks all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:50 am 

right,

This is my fstab after converting
Code:
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>               <dump>  <pass>
/dev/sda1       /               ext3    defaults,noatime,errors=remount-ro      0 0
proc            /proc           proc    defaults                        0 0
none            /dev/pts        devpts  gid=5,mode=20                   0 0
/dev/sda2       swap            swap    defaults                        0 0
/dev/sda3       /mnt            ext3    defaults,noatime                0 0
/dev/sda4       /alternate-boot ext3    defaults,noatime                0 0

you just need to change the hda to sda, since this is the identifier for the drive.

and as for you booting with the hda working, when you boot the new kernel it will automatically (by default) mount the root as sda1 as its part of the kernel boot parameters (i think)
It will try to remount / as hda1 but since that device doesnt exist , it will not complete that task but you will notice that your /mnt will not have mounted either.

When I did the ram test i just watched the output to the netcat and it didnt look like it errored, it found the kernel and seamed to load it, so I was happy enough to flash it.

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]