Kurobox NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Kuro Community
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:45 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:43 pm 

OK, I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Found a different hurdle...VI. What is the deal with VI on this image??!! It acts very weird such that I can't move the cursor around without all sorts of weird characters coming up. If I want to edit a page, I have to reboot in EM mode, run VI from flash and it works just fine.

This is getting less and less fun. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:52 pm 

Quote:
Do you mean you don't know how to use vi?

I have used it a long time ago and forgot most of the commands. I have printed out some basics from the web and have been using that to refresh my memory. Here is an example of what it does. I open the file and move the cursor to where I want to make a change. Even in command mode, some weird characters will come up. But anyway, I press :i to go into insert mode and instead of saying --Insert-- on the bottom like it normally does, it will overwrite my text with it.

Like I said, I can edit the files in vi just fine when I'm in EM mode. It's when I'm in Debian is when vi acts up. I've also tried changing TERM=VT100 to see if that would fix it. Huge hassle to have to go into EM just to do a simple change of some text files. I must be missing something obvious.

I'm doing this from a Windows box from the command prompt. I guess I could try Hyperterminal to see if that helps.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:52 pm 

phlegmer wrote:
OK, I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Found a different hurdle...VI. What is the deal with VI on this image??!! It acts very weird such that I can't move the cursor around without all sorts of weird characters coming up. If I want to edit a page, I have to reboot in EM mode, run VI from flash and it works just fine.

This is getting less and less fun. :(

Sounds like you need to set TERM=vt100 (literally, at the prompt, type TERM=vt100). Try that, and if that solves your problem, you can set it permanently.

rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:48 am 

Thanks for the reply richbl but as stated before, I've tried setting the TERM=vt100. I just tried using Hyperterminal and I get similar results. Here is an example of what happens. Here is what etc/network/interfaces looks like when I open it:

Quote:
nterfaces: unmodified: line 18 ). See the interfaces(5) manpage or
# /usr/share/doc/ifupdown/examples for more information.
face louto eth0 loack
~
~
~
~
~
~

It doesn't even open up correctly. It's missing the dhcp line and the first letter is missing on the first line. Opening it in EM mode and it shows all the info correctly.

This is what happens just by typeing :i <enter>:

Quote:
i
Entering ex input mode.wn/examples for more information.
face louto eth0 loack
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~

Pretty much unusable. Am I the only one with problems?

Thanks all!

[UPDATE] I just tried changing to vt220 and that seemed to clear things up. Now I can move on to the next hurdle

Last edited by phlegmer on Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:34 am 

Quote:
AFAIK no ftp server was installed in my kurobox-2.6.15 image, so I installed proftpd myself

Do you recall running proftpd from inetd or standalone? I'm being asked that after I installed it.

Thanks!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:05 pm 

I decided to use inetd mode and this is why:

In inetd mode, the proftpd server expects to be started by the inetd (or xinetd) servers. It is these servers, inetd/xinetd, that listen on the FTP port (usually 21) for connection requests, then start proftpd and pass the connection off. This mode is usually best suited for low traffic sites, for sites that do not handle many FTP sessions.

In Standalone Mode, the proftpd listens for incoming FTP session requests itself, and forks off child processes to handle those requests. This mode is best suited for high traffic, popular sites; the overhead of having to parse the configuration file each time, as is done for inetd-handled sessions, is avoided in this mode. Also, there is no need to change any other configuration files other than the proftpd.conf, for ports, virtual servers, or anything else.

Since I don't plan on doing a whole lot of FTP trafficing, from the descriptions above, I chose inetd mode.... now if I can just get it working (yet another hurdle) :(

[Yet another UPDATE] My host name in the hosts file and hostname files were not matching. As soon as I matched that up, proftpd worked like a charm. Now we are making some headway!!!

Last edited by phlegmer on Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:22 am 

I'm also having the same problem as phlegmer. VI is not working for me. I think it has something to do with keymaps. Everything was working completely until I did the #apt-get upgrade command. Everything upgraded fine until I got the error:

Setting up console-data (2002.12.04dbs-49) ...
Looking for keymap to install:
us
Couldnt get a file descriptor referring to the console
Failed to dump keymap!
This might be because you'r console cannot be open. Perhaps you don't have
a video card, are connected via the serial console or ssh. Not loading
keymap!

I appreciate some help. I remember choosing the us standard qwerty. I also tried TERM=vt220 without any luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:00 pm 

Thanks for responding, I tried reconfiguring console-data but I its a no go.

I select the option to load keymap from arch list, it exist out, and goes back to the command prompt and shows

"Looking for keymap to install" and then prints "NONE"
It doesn't give me the option to select the keymap.

I tried to load a keymap with loadkeys, but it just prints out:
"Couldnt get a file descriptor referring to the console"

For the past couple of days I've searched for possible but doesn't give me much about that error.

VI is pretty much useless with this problem, anybody else have any suggestions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:08 pm 

I don't know if you ever got a solution. I've installed Debian had a world of problems, still working it out. As for vi, I found a lot of people with the same problem and also a recommendation for vim, improved vi. It works great!

As for Debian, I'm having trouble locating named, the name server.

Paul Krupa

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3