Kurobox NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Kuro Community
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:52 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:31 pm 

Hi folks!

I've taken the plunge and purchased a shiny new Kuro HG/WR which will soon be flying across the pond to Blighty. My intention is to install Gentoo and use it as a SlimServer / NAS box.

But after reading many discussions in the forum and the wikis, I'm suffering from information overload. Would some kind soul be able to validate my thoughts about getting to "U-Boot / Gentoo nirvana"?

1. install netcat and ELDK to another machine
2. download U-Boot source, LS U-Boot patch and uloader-2.4.20 to "other machine"
3. configure and build U-Boot for RAM
4. fit hard disk to Kuro, connect ethernet and power on
5. test uloader / U-Boot RAM on Kuro (including 'flinfo')
6. test write / verify to unused sector in flash
7. build U-Boot for ROM
8. flash U-Boot from U-Boot and reboot
9. create partitions on Kuro, untar Gentoo image from 'russK'
10. setup mirrors, networking, U-Boot-compatible kernel, yadda yadda...

Assumption...

After flashing U-Boot, I can simply reboot. There'll be no U-Boot-compatible kernel, so Kuro will boot original kernel from flash and I can telnet to the Kuro to configure partitions and transfer the Gentoo image using ftp?

Thanks in advance everyone... 8)
Matthew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:52 pm 

More questions from a paranoid Brit...

Being impatient, I've installed ELDK and I'm now attempting to build the ROM and FLASH U-Boot images.

Both the 'flash' and the 'ram' binaries are the same size: 174620 bytes. Can someone confirm that this is correct please?

(Told ya I was paranoid!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:46 pm 

wouldn`t it be safer if you use the precompiled UBoot images?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:41 am 

mindbender wrote:
wouldn`t it be safer if you use the precompiled UBoot images?

Probably, yes! :D

But in reading the forums and wiki I haven't heard of precompiled U-Boot images, just precompiled kernels suitable for use with U-Boot. :oops:

Care to point me in the right direction?

If there are tried-and-tested precompiled U-Boot binaries that I can flash (along with a precompiled RAM image for testing beforehand), I'll happily update the U-Boot part of the Wiki to include the links.

Cheers,
Matthew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:03 pm 

We also need instructions on how to test the RAM build of LNI's uboot port with a Kuro HG running Gentoo.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:05 pm 

Hi Matthew,

Lardmonster wrote:
... shiny new Kuro HG/WR which will soon be flying across the pond to Blighty.

I wonder whether your Kuro box and mine know each other. Seems like they came the same time across the pond :)

Lardmonster wrote:

2. download U-Boot source, LS U-Boot patch and uloader-2.4.20 to "other machine"

How did you go with the U-Boot installation? I assume your box also has 2.4.17 and not 2.4.20 as EM kernel.

Did you compile the uloader.o yourself or just used the one provided by Nijino without network support?

Cheers,

Didi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:06 pm 

didi wrote:
Lardmonster wrote:
... shiny new Kuro HG/WR which will soon be flying across the pond to Blighty.

I wonder whether your Kuro box and mine know each other. Seems like they came the same time across the pond :)

Perhaps... but I think mine must be swimming to Britain, as there's no sign of it yet...
didi wrote:
Lardmonster wrote:

How did you go with the U-Boot installation? I assume your box also has 2.4.17 and not 2.4.20 as EM kernel.

Did you compile the uloader.o yourself or just used the one provided by Nijino without network support?

I can't say yet which kernel my HG has, but can't see the point in compiling 'uloader.o' if I don't need to.

And as no-one has any opinions on my attempts to compile u-boot (and no-one's pointed us to some known-good U-Boot RAM and U-Boot FLASH binaries for the HG) I doubt I'll be trying U-Boot any time soon. :(

Matthew

Edit: Would a Moderator be willing please to move this thread from "General Talk" to "General Development"? It might get more attention there. Ta eversomuch! :-)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:09 am 

Lardmonster wrote:
And as no-one has any opinions on my attempts to compile u-boot (and no-one's pointed us to some known-good U-Boot RAM and U-Boot FLASH binaries for the HG) I doubt I'll be trying U-Boot any time soon. :(

Hi,
I've just made the move to u-boot, and i can vouch that the u-boot binaries at http://www.kurobox.com/downloads/Flash_ ... otloaders/
worked fine on my HG.

The rest of your steps seem fine, although i'm not sure about the point of step 6, how do know where there are unused portions of flash? After you reboot with u-boot installed (step 8.) you should come up in EM mode and be able to install as per usual (though you'll need a uImage kernel).

Cheers,

Gordon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:29 pm 

gordonl wrote:
Hi,
I've just made the move to u-boot, and i can vouch that the u-boot binaries at http://www.kurobox.com/downloads/Flash_ ... otloaders/
worked fine on my HG.

Which one is this? The one from Nijino and explained in the howto:

http://www.kurobox.com/mwiki/index.php/HOWTO_U-Boot

or the one from Linuxnotincluded and explained here:

http://www.linuxnotincluded.pwp.blueyon ... stall.html

Cheers,

Didi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:49 pm 

The posted one is the LNI version.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:22 am 

Dave Taylor wrote:
The posted one is the LNI version.

Thanks. That helped.

I got it to work in about 5 minutes!

- 2 minutes to set everything up.
- 3 minutes to contemplate whether I want to press the ENTER key or not :)

Anyhow, for the books, here are the steps I did on my brand new KuroBox HG WR:

* follow the steps outlined here: http://www.kurobox.com/mwiki/index.php/Manual_Setup
to install the basic system on the KuroBox. The accompanied CD did not work and those manual steps worked just fine.

* downloaded the U-Boot binary from here: http://www.kurobox.com/downloads/Flash_ ... otloaders/

* followed the flashing steps for U-Boot from this link: http://www.kurobox.com/mwiki/index.php/ ... ox_HG_only

Now, I have to say, after these steps my system only boots into EM mode with U-Boot, as the standard installation does not work anymore. But that was intented, as I want to install Gentoo next and used the standard installation only as a jump board.

Cheers,

Didi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:29 am 

Gordon, Dave, didi...:

Thanks guys - I'm getting more confident about the process now. All I need now is a Kurobox!

Another question though: I'm wondering whether the manual setup is really necessary? I wonder if I can:

- install disk into kuro
- boot in EM mode
- copy U-Boot flash image to kuro
- flash U-Boot
- reboot (to EM mode)
- make partitions
- untar gentoo image
- install U-Boot 2.6 kernel

Matthew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:31 am 

You can. After the reboot you can follow the Gentoo install instructions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:34 am 

Lardmonster wrote:
Gordon, Dave, didi...:

Another question though: I'm wondering whether the manual setup is really necessary? I wonder if I can:

- install disk into kuro
- boot in EM mode
- copy U-Boot flash image to kuro
- flash U-Boot
- reboot (to EM mode)

Probably, all what you need is to have the dd tool, which probably comes with the EM mode as well. I just did not think as U-Boot being the first step and so went with the standard installation first.

Lardmonster wrote:
- make partitions
- untar gentoo image

Matthew

Now that is a step I don't understand myself yet. I thought once I have U-Boot installed, I can use it with any kernel that I want, without having it to change. That was very confusing in the documentation. It always talked about those two kernels, but not really what they refer to.

I thought the difference in kernel 2.4 vs. 2.6 for U-Boot comes from what kernel is used when flashing U-Boot? Like in the EM mode you have kernel 2.4, so use the U-Boot flash for that kernel?

Didi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:47 am 

didi wrote:
Lardmonster wrote:
- make partitions
- untar gentoo image

Now that is a step I don't understand myself yet. I thought once I have U-Boot installed, I can use it with any kernel that I want, without having it to change. That was very confusing in the documentation. It always talked about those two kernels, but not really what they refer to.

I thought the difference in kernel 2.4 vs. 2.6 for U-Boot comes from what kernel is used when flashing U-Boot? Like in the EM mode you have kernel 2.4, so use the U-Boot flash for that kernel?

Didi

I think you *can* use any kernel you want (2.4, 2.6, etc) - but it must be U-Boot compatible. So instead of typing "make image" or "make bzimage" to build the kernel, use "make uimage" instead.

Another potential point of confusion is that the process of installing U-Boot bootloader into the flash is different depending on which version of the kernel you're currently running, not depending on which version of the kernel you intend to run after U-Boot is installed in flash.

(I think! ;-))

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 Next