I've taken the plunge and purchased a shiny new Kuro HG/WR which will soon be flying across the pond to Blighty. My intention is to install Gentoo and use it as a SlimServer / NAS box.
But after reading many discussions in the forum and the wikis, I'm suffering from information overload. Would some kind soul be able to validate my thoughts about getting to "U-Boot / Gentoo nirvana"?
1. install netcat and ELDK to another machine
2. download U-Boot source, LS U-Boot patch and uloader-2.4.20 to "other machine"
3. configure and build U-Boot for RAM
4. fit hard disk to Kuro, connect ethernet and power on
5. test uloader / U-Boot RAM on Kuro (including 'flinfo')
6. test write / verify to unused sector in flash
7. build U-Boot for ROM
8. flash U-Boot from U-Boot and reboot
9. create partitions on Kuro, untar Gentoo image from 'russK'
10. setup mirrors, networking, U-Boot-compatible kernel, yadda yadda...
After flashing U-Boot, I can simply reboot. There'll be no U-Boot-compatible kernel, so Kuro will boot original kernel from flash and I can telnet to the Kuro to configure partitions and transfer the Gentoo image using ftp?
Thanks in advance everyone...