Kurobox NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Kuro Community
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:51 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:51 am 

You can use whatever version kernel you want with U-boot as long as it is compatible with the Kuro. There is a kernel in flash (2.4.17) that is part of em mode. There are working 2.4.31 and 2.4.33 kernels as well as many 2.6 versions that can be booted with U-Boot. These kernels can reside on the disk or on another networked computer.

As far as flashing U-Boot, it is easiest when flashing from a 2.4 kernel like the one used in em mode.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:53 am 

-- UPDATE --

Kuro arrived, flashed to U-Boot, installed Gentoo stage 3 and now emerging world... Beautiful! 8)

Thanks everyone, couldn't have done it without you!

(And to John@Revogear: thanks for prodding US customs for me!)

Matthew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:46 am 

US Customs? People and things only go through customs when arriving, not when leaving the country.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:56 am 

Dave Taylor wrote:
US Customs? People and things only go through customs when arriving, not when leaving the country.

Well, it was stuck somewhere for more than week, and the Revogear guys made it unstuck. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:56 am 

I really like this thread, as it seems to be getting easier to install as time goes by :)

I am wondering whether there is anything in this thread that is gentoo-specific. Could it also be 'zero to debian', in the following steps?

- install disk into kuro
- boot in EM mode
- copy U-Boot flash image to kuro
- flash U-Boot
- reboot (to EM mode)
- make partitions
- untar Sylver's 'improved debian' image
- install U-Boot 2.6 kernel

Seems to me (in my ignorance) that it should work equally well. I'm timidly hovering in EM-land before taking my first steps toward a mythtv-pvrusb2 backend system. I'm a little more comfortable with Debian, but if there is an obvious reason to go Gentoo, so be it :)

Thanks for the thread, and your help - MMcK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:30 pm 

I don't see why it shouldn't apply to Debian just as easily.

My only reason for choosing Gentoo is that I was concerned that a Fedora or Debian installation would give me lots of unnecessary guff that I didn't need. And on a box like the Kuro, I didn't want loads of unnecessary services taking up precious resources!

But yes, it is easy. I've now rolled my own LVM-enabled kernel, have NFS running smoothly, and I'm now carefully emerging stuff...

Best of luck lad! :-)

Post subject: partway to debian
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:46 am 

Well, as far as this procedure being equally easy with debian....it might be. But I'm not there yet.

I've gotten through these steps without incident:

- install disk into kuro
- boot in EM mode
- copy U-Boot flash image to kuro
- flash U-Boot
- reboot (to EM mode)
- make partitions
- untar Sylver's 'improved debian' image

Now I need to install the U-Boot 2.6 kernel. From Sylver's site, I see a series of updated kernels, but they are not specifically marked as 'uImage' and I'm not sure whether they are intended for the U-Boot bootloader or not. There is a remark in his changelog that he added a uImage version a few revs back:

Quote:
Debian-sarge-2.6.17.4-mh2_kurobox_hg-20060711 (kernel update only) :
U Updated to kernel 2.6.17.4 (Kurobox HG version only)
U Updated Bluetooth patch to mh2 : http://www.holtmann.org/linux/kernel/pa ... .17-mh2.gz
U Updated PWC webcam driver to pwc-v4l2-20060711-042701
+ added uImage version of kernel 2.6.17.4 for Kuro-box with U-Boot
+ USB CD/DVD drives support
+ Autofs4 module
+ Added support for +2TB drives
+ Added RAID support

But I'm still not clear whether all his kernels are u-bootable.

The u-boot flash read-me says that 'uImage should be located in /boot/uImage file on hda1', but after unpacking the 'Sylver's improved debian image' I see no /boot directory, whcih has got me wondering whether I'm barking up the wrong tree. Or possibly simply barking.

I could just create /boot and unpack Sylver's latest kernel there and hope for the best, but I'm wondering whether the kuro would ever speak to me again :)

Any help is greatly appreciated. - MMcK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:46 pm 

Sylver's Debian kernel update images (since 2.6.17.4-mh2) have both uImage (for u-Boot) and vmlinux.bin (for loader.o) kernels.

The "system" image doesn't have a u-Boot kernel.

Just download both the "system" image and the most resent "kernel update" and untar them both into hda1.
Both kernel images will end up in "/boot"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:03 pm 

Thanks for the advice.

I untarred the kernel image and everything went into the right place. Unfortunately, i can't make it all go :(

If I boot the flash kernel (which I have to do from the nc with 'run flboot') I can telnet in at 192.168.11.150

After installing Debian, and setting everything up for static IP at 192.168.11.150 (though I did not modify /etc/resolv.conf, maybe I should have), it seems to start to boot but eventually hangs somewhere. The last message on the net console is something like 'uncompressing kernel ok', but then the box just sits there with the power LED blinking slowly (sleep mode). I thought that maybe this was related to the need of the box to reach 192.168.11.149 in U-boot 2.0, and that maybe that was failing because the port was tied up with the net console. But I disconnected the net console (and even applied the 'setenv netretry no' fix suggested in another post) and it made no diff.

Finally I decided to start from scratch with Gentoo, following as closely as I can the instructions for the 15-minute install, but the results are exactly the same. I understand that in stock mode the Gentoo image is set up for DHCP and that may be a problem as it cannot reach a DHCP server at present, but I had thought that would just time out eventually and self-assign an internal IP. It gives 'uncompressing kernel ok' at the console, then the box just sits there with its power light in 'sleep' mode (as during the U-boot delay), and it ignores any presses of the power button.

Any ideas for a newbie??

Thanks in advance for any help/advice - MMcK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:53 pm 

You will only see the u-boot messages in the net console. once it jumps to the loaded kernel and system on hda1 it stops sending net console messages. from there you should login using putty on ssh. Regarding resolv.conf, you will want to boot in em and copy the one from EM's /etc to /etc on hda1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:09 am 

Thanks, Dave.

Am I right in thinking that (even if I don't log in via ssh or telnet) that as long as I have a connected PC configured as 192.168.11.149 that the box should boot, and that the power light should go on solid once the u-boot delay time has expired?? It seems to me like it's hanging in U-boot land. Possibly I'm seing some variant of the problems described in

http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1448

and

http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1462

I haven't yet tried setting a static IP in my Gentoo setup. I'll try that next, but if some kind soul who knows what they're doing would care to compile a later (2.1) U-boot binary I would think that at least a few people would be glad to see it. I can try it myself, but I'm afraid of going brick-city if I screw it up.

Thanks for any further advice - MMcK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:59 am 

I seem to remember the slow-flashing power light is something to do with the watchdog timer not being happy?

If that's right, then you might need to do the "writeok" operation before booting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:18 am 

For some reason it takes about ten minutes to boot, but I do have my kuro running the Gentoo image (15 minute version) :)

I did about a weekend's worth of emerge -update, and now I think I have a relatively functional system. My ultimate goal is to get mythtv (backend only) running on it, so following the docs at mythtv.org I tried to emerge qt and got a dependency error which I presume I will eventually be able to sort out.

Meanwhile, I saw this page on the wiki:

http://www.kurobox.com/mwiki/index.php/ ... der/Player

And I plan to try to stumble along that path as it gets built. My question (finally): as long as I build a custom kernel, can I still use the '15 minute' gentoo image?? Or do I need to start over and do the full 'custom' Gentoo install??

Curious - MMcK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:04 am 

twigman@yahoo.com wrote:
My question (finally): as long as I build a custom kernel, can I still use the '15 minute' gentoo image?? Or do I need to start over and do the full 'custom' Gentoo install??

Curious - MMcK

Yes, you can use the 15-minute image with a custom kernel. I'm running 2.6.19 (from ftp.kernel.org) but patched first with Kuro-specific stuff.

The Kuro patches shouldn't be needed for 2.6.20 kernels or later, but you will need a later version of U-Boot. The process for upgrading to 2.6.20 kernels isn't finalised yet...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:50 am 

Thanks...by a newer version of U-boot, I take it that you mean one with the 2.1 patch? If so, did you fnd a binary, or roll your own?

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 Next