Kurobox NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Kuro Community
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:44 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:26 pm 

Any of you have a dead Kuro-Box or Linkstation? There are teams of techies who go out into the schools, mainly middle schools, the week of George Washington's birthday in Feb (our nations first really prominent engineer). To get an idea of the breadth of activities you can check out:
http://eweek.org

There are many demos suggested for EWeek -- our team working with a few schools has had success using a number of actual working IT gadgets for demos over the years. And often we have dead versions of same for the kids to pick apart. Hard disk drives and tape drives are a favorite.

Past couple of years I had kids doing just a little programming of Cybikos (handheld wireless PDAs with optional MP3 players). Two years ago brought an AIT tape autoloader and had one team of kids in each class "program" it to move tapes, store data, retrieve data from a laptop running Linux.

Last year I brought a Kuro-Box, and there was a great deal of interest from kids in opening that up. But I only had my working one and showed photos from the direction sheet of the internals. But that isn't the same as kids getting their mits on one.

Had no problem with doing so for the Cybikos and many an old hard disk as I have dead or very sick versions of each. Expect each of them that is passed around to come back dead and/or with parts missing at the end of a 7-8 period day of demos. However, I don't have a Kuro-Box to do same.

If you have a dead Kuro-Box or Linkstation, or a NSLU2 (slug) let me know. We'll gladly take it off your hands. Yes. we will give donation receipts. Contact me using the PM link below if you can donate one of these!

Thank you, Mark

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]