Kurobox NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Kuro Community
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:49 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: I think I bricked it
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:29 pm 

I have uboot installed and tried forcing EM mode via the instruction on LNI's u-boot page by typing the following commands:

=> run writeng
=> run flboot

It ran in EM mode and then I rebooted. Upon reboot - nothing. Power light flashes slowly and continually. Netcat hangs at the following:

C:\nc111nt>nc -u -p 6666 -v -v 192.168.11.150 6666
192.168.11.150: inverse host lookup failed: h_errno 11004: NO_DATA
(UNKNOWN) [192.168.11.150] 6666 (?) open

Anyone have any clues? Or did I just create an expensive door stop? It wasn't booting normally already so I guess this means that it won't boot anything now!

-X

:cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:56 pm 

Don't worry, if it blinks faded it is not a brick.

Have a look at this thread. I went through the same just a few months ago:

http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1354

You need to do write_ok to boot normal again.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:14 pm 

Hopefully someone can benefit from these conversations:

-X

Subject: Bricked?
Importance: High

Hi Dave,

Can you take a look at this thread and tell me if I need to send this on over to you?

http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1528

Here is a copy of the thread:

I have uboot installed and tried forcing EM mode via the instruction on LNI's u-boot page by typing the following commands:

=> run writeng
=> run flboot

It ran in EM mode and then I rebooted. Upon reboot - nothing. Power light flashes slowly and continually. Netcat hangs at the
following:

C:\nc111nt>nc -u -p 6666 -v -v 192.168.11.150 6666
192.168.11.150: inverse host lookup failed: h_errno
11004: NO_DATA
(UNKNOWN) [192.168.11.150] 6666 (?) open

Anyone have any clues? Or did I just create an expensive door stop? It wasn't booting normally already so I guess this means that it won't boot anything now!

It's been a fight to get this thing rolling. Maybe my original flash of u-boot didn't go so well. I couldn't compare it because the cmp command does not work from within my version of EM boot.
It worked for a while, but would only load the Gentoo kernel if another machine was at 192.168.11.149. That question came up here:
http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1525 Thanks for looking into this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sounds like you used a u-boot with the 2.0 LNI patch. the fix is to reflash with the 2.01 patch which prevents u-boot from waiting for a response from a net console at SERVER_IP. I suggest you reread the instructions for u-boot that LNI provided. His patches (2.00 and 2.01) have a minimal console that should allow you to boot to em mode by using the rear button and power button. I don't think your box is bricked. I think you might just need to figure out where it is looking for a server. If you can get it to boot in em mode I suggest using the u-boot binary at http://downloads.linkstationwiki.net/ub ... I_patched_
binaries/ . I built those binaries and know for a fact that they use the latest patch and are properly configured. If you can't get it to em mode or find it and access it via net console I would say that one option is to repair it via JTAG. If that is the case, I'll be glad to unbrick it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the reply. I did manage to get the box to come back up. I promptly reflashed with your version and the box seems to function fine.

I do have one quick question that you may be able to answer - how do you remove a command from the environment if you accidentally misspelled? It is not a big deal since it is not causing any harm, but I would like to remove it if at all possible. I can't seem to figure out how to remove it - but my experience with embedded devices like this is only minimal. This box however is the perfect box in my opinion however.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The environment is stored at 0xFFF60000 thru 0xFFF6FFFF. simply erase that sector of flash and you will be back to the default environment.
You can do that from the u-boot console. Just unprotect the memory range and then erase that range. be careful as erasing the area from FFF00000 thru FFF5FFFF will remove the boot loader and will cause a brick after reboot.

One last question - Simply overwriting the LNI Uboot using dd if=u-boot-hg.flash.bin of=/dev/mtd1 bs=1k is the way to do it, correct?
Is there any other step I should take to make sure the old version is gone before flashing the new version? It is still hanging on bootup until a machine is at 192.168.11.149 which is why I ask.

Also, if you boot up the box and stop the boot using netcat - just leaving it in netconsole it will occasionally write out - checksum bad randomly. I take it this is not normal?

I think i just figured out what I did wrong - I flashed the firmware originally using the original Kurobox (standard) command of dd if=u-boot-hd.flash.bin of=/dev/fl2 bs=1k

Hopefully that is OK. :(

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are in dangerous territory. Read and reread http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?ti ... hROM#Flash
_ROM_analysis for the flash memory map. The bootloader goes in /dev/fl2 and the firmimg goes in /dev/fl1. You can use dd to flash the bootloader and firmimg, but the safest way to upgrade u-boot is to do it from the u-boot console. Read (at least twice) http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?ti ... er#Install for directions. You must name the u-boot binary the same name as defined in the u-boot environment variable ubfile. U-boot will look for that file on the root directory of /hda3.

Be very careful as messing up while flashing u-boot will make a brick.
Once u-boot is installed you can recover from pretty much anything except overwriting u-boot and then rebooting. You can even recover from erasing u-boot as long as you don't power down the box.

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]