Kurobox NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Kuro Community
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:26 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:01 am 

Hi guys !
According to this, the next kurobox will be available one day and it'll be basically a Linkstation pro :
Quote:
CPU: Marvell88F5182(ARM9Core/400MHz)
RAM: 128MB (DDR2)
NAND FLASH: 256Mb/Linux(Kernel 2.6.12.6), gcc:3.4.4/glibc:2.3.6
USB: 2x
RJ-45 (1000BASE-T/100BASE-TX/10BASE-T)
SerialATA: 2x
PCI Express: 1x
Size: 60x163.3x215.5mm

As the linkstation pro is already running u-boot and some guys already have made some custom system images, I guess that the only good thing in the Kurobox pro will be the custom package :p
Wait & see ;)

Sylver

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:55 am 

Marvell requires a NDA in order to even consider releasing the datasheets for their hardware. Until they make the datasheets available, this isn't the best choice for a hacking platform.

Besides, unless they sell for under $100 it will be a better deal to buy a LS Pro instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:50 am 
Site Admin

To be fair, Once you have the kernel sources, you will rarely need the docs. The only time there would be interesting is if you wanted to enable some advanced features of the chipset or tweak settings if say PCI were too slow. Frankly, we have not needed the Freescale docs to get to a new kernel + bootloader. Yes docs are good, but the OSS way to to do whatever you can with what you got.
That said I don't know if it will be available in the US. I should check in that.

Thanks
Brian

Thanks
Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:11 am 

Point taken waite, but to do hardware modifications such as adding a jtag port or possibly adding WOL capability we will require some datasheets. As usual, the bootloader is stored in flash and can be easily overwritten. Without JTAG there is no easy way to revive one of these, and hence, no safe way to test a new bootloader which makes a serial console an absolute requirement in order to control the bootloader (BTW, the serial port on the LS Pro requires a level converter).

Even adding the second SATA port was risky without the datasheets as there is no way of measuring the values of the 4 required capacitors without removing the ones for SATA0 from the board. I'm sure the required values are specified in the datasheet.

BTW, LNI did reference, extensively, the datasheets for the devices on the Linkstation when porting u-boot .

We've also been hard at work on the kernel over at the linkstation wiki and it is slow going as the kernel is heavily patched; Melco Style.

For all I know, the K3 might come with all this stuff installed, but if it doesn't....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:04 pm 

pics from the kuropro:
http://forum.linkstationwiki.net/index. ... 0#msg26205

originally from yamasita.jp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:36 pm 

Hi,

I took a few photos of the Kuro-Box/Pro just to show you what you'll get for your money.

http://www.ch1.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Chi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:21 pm 

It's here on the road.
http://www.geekstuff4u.com/product_info ... cts_id=498

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:06 am 

provat wrote:

Ouch, it's $240 plus $40 shipping. I'll wait a little longer to see if Revolution actually is going to get some, or even then perhaps a hacked Linkstation Pro would be better if you're not going to do tons of hacking.

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]