Kurobox NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Kuro Community
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:50 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: qnap ts-109 pro
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:57 am 

I own a qnap ts-109 pro and comparing to a kurobox it looks very much the same in specs.

Then i wonder if it wouldnt be possible to use the kurobox system on it, like the gentoo version.

Does anyone know what the differences are? Me myself cant se any.

Post subject: Re: qnap ts-109 pro
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:38 am 

orso wrote:
I own a qnap ts-109 pro and comparing to a kurobox it looks very much the same in specs.

Then i wonder if it wouldnt be possible to use the kurobox system on it, like the gentoo version.

Does anyone know what the differences are? Me myself cant se any.

Apparantly your device is ARM based like the KuroBox Pro and the LinkstationPro and uses the same processor. So it's theoretically possible. However there are certainly other hardware differences, most are probably small but it is possible that some are large. For one there is an external sata port on the main board. One physical difference seems to be that the device has no fan, and uses the aluminum case as a big heat sink/fin to dissapate heat.

There must be a place on the board that you could solder in serial port access to establish console access. Looking at the pictures of the main board it might be at the very top... four holes that look like they would accept a pin header.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/images/s ... inside.jpg
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/images/s ... _board.jpg

I think you might be the first to attempt this so there is a risk that you create a brick. Before you changed anything you could find out how similar things are laid out by:

1) establishing serial console access.. you may even get root access without a password this way.

Here is a doc to help you just a bit
http://www.linkstationwiki.net/index.php/Serial_port

2) Take the hard drive out and use a linux workstation to see how it's partitioned and what is on it.

Your risk of bricking your box would be low these ways, but still present (and of course you would void your warranty)

Edit: also it appears in this board's design there are provisions to add a mini-pci slot, possibly for wireless access in other versions of the device.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:30 am 

I also have a qnap ts-109 pro at home, but it's still in its box (didn't have time to play with this yet).
Anyway using the kurobox pro system on the QNAP will not work perfectly because of the hardware that control LEDs & shutdown/reboot (the software to communicate with this hardware is partially coded in the kernel and have a software daemon in the file system).
But with some small modifications it should be running ;)

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]