Kurobox NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Kuro Community
It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:22 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:40 pm 

I'm looking to upgrade my aging original kuro with the Kurobox Pro. However Revogear seems to have availability issues (I see that hasn't changed! :wink: )

So is the extra flash in the kuro worth it, or should I just order a Linkstation including a 160GB or 320GB disk for about an extra $20 over the KuroP and hack it?

I'm planning on using Gentoo again and maybe ZFS under FUSE.

James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:05 pm 

I have a LS Pro I have just started playing with, I just installed GenLink on it last night (in order to understand how Zoolooc uses layman, looks like a great idea for maintaining an overlay).

I don't know if anyone has taken advantage of the extra flash in the kuro Pro yet, but the forums on nas-central.org are fairly active in the LS Pro/Live area there. Sylver is active there and I think he has a kuro pro and I noticed him talking about the extra flash.

I think I like the LS Pro, it seems much less brickable than the kuros. There is very little reason to flash I think. I guess if I had to make a choice now I might go with a LS Pro or LS Live.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:57 am 

Yes the kurobox pro has 256MB of NAND flash, and this flash is not on the Linkstation Pro ! The good thing with that flash is that you can put a rootfs (ie the system partition) on it (it has about 190MB of free space, the other MB are used for the kernel and the rootfs of the "EM" mode).
PS : yes I have a Kurobox pro (and a kurobox HG and a Terastation pro V1 ;)) and I'm working hard on my "universal kernel" to make it works on ARM devices !
Sylver

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:44 pm 

Hi Sylver,

Thanks for your efforts BTW! You may remember me as the crazy fool who first kickstarted Gentoo.ancient on the original kuro?

In any case I'm really tempted by the flash rootfs as I could then use the internal drive for ZFS storage, and I like the saftey factor of not having the rootfs on magnetic media too. I'll happily be a Gentoo on kuro guinea pig again.

So, other than revogear is there any way to order a kurobox pro from Japan or Oz or wherever?

James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:40 pm 

I thought I recognized your nick :D
I read a lot of old threads regarding gentoo on the kuros. Great work!
I have two kuro HGs, both running gentoo, although one is currenly being used as a test box to produce the next image. The last image was kindof broken after baselayout was re-arranged and blocked several packages so emerge -uD would not work. We have that fixed and I'm just about to release a new image in a week or so. If you still have a ppc kuro I'll be looking for testers :D It involves flashing uboot. I would understand If you want to focus on the kuro Pro.

Good question on where to get one, maybe waite knows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:42 pm 

Yah, I had to create a new id tagging a "2" on the end because when I changed the email address on the original it inactivated the account and the old email address no longer exists. (Any admin get my PM yet?)

I found one US site offering the KBP for $253 ! I'm not ready to pay that yet! I think I've lined up a cheap used LSP whose HDD died, so if that works I'll try hacking that first. As soon as I have a nice stable production ready system I'll transfer all the data from my original faithful Kuro and be ready to use it as a guinea-pig again. I have a read-only console on it (soldering accident on the write trace), so that should help. It's a flash virgin and hasn't even ever run anything other than the stock 2.4 kernel.

I really, really want to store my data in ZFS (go read up on why, you'll want to too!), however I'm not going to be installing Solaris on a small ARM or PPC box, at least not for a while! :roll: :lol: So my favorite meta-distro and FUSE it will have to be.

HEY! IT'S PAST "MID OCTOBER" WHERE'S THE FREAKIN' NEXT REVOGEAR BATCH? Not that I'm impatient or demanding or anything... :P :lol:

James

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:37 am 

jgmdean2 wrote:
However Revogear seems to have availability issues (I see that hasn't changed! :wink: )

Thats one word for it :) I've got a power cord (only) still hehe... been 6 weeks now since I ordered the pro and no reply to when I'm getting the actual device I ordered... <sigh> Like you I've been wondering If I should just get a Linkstation Pro but Id say wait for now.. let revo sort out its stock availability and handling issues.

Finally got one of those silver conductive tip pens so I might be able to fix the HG this weekend never realized how much I use the kuro till I couldn't login to it!

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]