Kurobox NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Kuro Community
It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:21 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:27 pm 

So I finally got my paws on a Kurobox Pro to replace my aging original Kuro (running Gentoo, I kicked off that project and then happily let more competent people take over as soon as they showed up! :D ).

So I have a choice to make as to which environment the new box should run: The Original KBP firmware and environment, Freelink or Genlink.

So here are the decision factors, in no particular order:

- I'd prefer the basic rootfs to stay in Flash with var, tmp and data only the drives(s)
- I've plumbed in the front SATA port to be a e-SATA port on the back, I want to use this for mirroring the internal disk. LVM, Software RAID, whatever involves the least effort and most reliability.
- I've plumbed in the Serial port Console, so u-boot is accesible to me, but I don't do JTAG.
- I'd like to use ZFS for data storage at some point in the future, via FUSE if neccessary
- I have a fondness and good history with Gentoo, but I speak Debian.
- I want the ability to load and run arbitrary software i.e. treat the KBP as a general purpose server, not an appliance. Web interfaces are nice but I'm quite comfortable on an ssh CLI.
- In the immediate term I need NFS, SMB/CIFS, basic static http and https, in addition to ssh. Possibly something like tinyproxy as well.

I don't want much do I? :P

So, suggestions, comments and war/horror stories?

James

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]