Kurobox NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Kuro Community
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:00 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:23 pm 

Hello there,

I am very new to both KuroBox and linux, but here's what I did and maybe someone can tell me what to do next.

I got a brand new KuroBox Pro and installed a 500Gb SATA drive into it.

I followed the Wiki instructions to install "Buffalo Provided Developer System". (ie. copied 4 files off the CD to /mtd device/, hit the red button.)

That was working okay, but then I decided that I really should have installed Freelink Debian.

However I notived I could no longer access the the /mtd device/ share to follow the Freelink instructions. There was just a /home/ share.

I saw this post (http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1645) that recommended unmounting the drive and deleted the partitions. There were 4 partitions in total, so I deleted them all.

I rebooted the KuroBox (power off, power on) and now I can't access it at all. There is a steady power light and an occassionally active Link/Act light.

After the reboot I was expecting to be able to access the /mtd device/ folder to "start over" but apparently that's not the case!

Any pointers would be most welcome.

Maybe it's worth mentioning that my long term goal is a samba server, FTP server, web server, and hopefully a efficient torrent client.

Thanks!
James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:56 pm 

Hi,

I'm the original author of those steps. It definitely worked for me when I did this.
I'm sorry it did not work for you and can not really help you on how to solve this (I've place a warning in the original thread).

However I never the used the CD to get the PRO up and running, just pressed the red button. That might be the difference.
I'm not sure. I'm waiting for some stuff to get the serial port up and running, once I got that I'll try again (the serial port will give access to the serial port and allows to control the boot process).

Did you try to boot without HD connected?

/Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:46 pm 

The problem is that it (button push) with those files in place will change the uboot settings and you will have to change them back somehow (with serial access) or partition a drive and put a rootfs on it yourself......

I'm not sure where we are documenting things now. But there is alot of information ON the CD itself in the english PDFS about how to use serial access.

Of course you need to solder in a header and use a level shifter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:19 pm 

rosco_pc: Don't worry about it, I felt like I only had a 50/50 chance of it working anyway. :)

ramuk: Building a serial cable would be no problem, I can get all the parts I need for that project from my work if necessary. My question would be, once I've built the cable, what next? Are we talking about re-flashing the firmware or just being able to access the "Console" to change the uboot settings? If it's the later can you let me know where to find the instructions to do this. I looked at the CD that came with my Kurobox Pro and there isn't much friendly documentation. If it's the former, then where do I get factory firmware? I have only been able to find it for non-Pro Kuroboxes on the forums.

I would also like to consider the second option you mentioned, about installing the rootfs onto a drive while it's in another PC. Are there instructions somewhere that would walk me through that process? For example, can I install Freelink on the drive while it's in the PC and then put it back into the Kurobox Pro and expect it to boot?

One last question: Would getting into "EM Mode" be of any use to me at this stage?

Thanks,
James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:08 am 

Actually you need to change the uboot settings so it will load the filesystem in mtd2 (in you configuration it's trying to find the system in /sdax I guess). The problem is that you need the serial console to change uboot settings !
You can check here for different uboot settings ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:21 am 

Cool, hope it is that easy. I think you're saying I would need to telnet into the box over the serial cable, and modify the uboot environment variable settings.

Specifically the following line:
To: setenv bootargs_root root=/dev/mtdblock2 rw

I will build the cable and try that. If it doesn't work at least I'll have a serial cable to see what messages are being generated on boot up.

I will post back here with the results.

Thanks,
James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:29 am 

You can also try to rebuild the filesystem on the drive from another computer (untar the filesystem archive and create correct partitions ? ...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:33 am 

ja2robin wrote:
ramuk: Building a serial cable would be no problem, I can get all the parts I need for that project from my work if necessary. My question would be, once I've built the cable, what next? Are we talking about re-flashing the firmware or just being able to access the "Console" to change the uboot settings? If it's the later can you let me know where to find the instructions to do this. I looked at the CD that came with my Kurobox Pro and there isn't much friendly documentation. If it's the former, then where do I get factory firmware? I have only been able to find it for non-Pro Kuroboxes on the forums.

Look here there is good information with regards to the serial port
http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php/Serial_port
You will have console access, to a login prompt.

ja2robin wrote:
I would also like to consider the second option you mentioned, about installing the rootfs onto a drive while it's in another PC. Are there instructions somewhere that would walk me through that process? For example, can I install Freelink on the drive while it's in the PC and then put it back into the Kurobox Pro and expect it to boot?

Well, yes and no....
Look at the kuroboxpro article, this is the partion scheme that the button push on the back generates
http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php/Ku ... ibution.29

There are instructions for partioning (an LSPRO in this case) here
http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php/Cu ... ternal_HDD

ja2robin wrote:
One last question: Would getting into "EM Mode" be of any use to me at this stage?

Thanks,
James

herein lies the problem, there is no EM mode. There are u-boot settings. I think there may be a way to fiddle with these from a ssh session at some point in the future but for now in order to get back to the initially provided flash/rootfs that was on the kuro when you bought it you need to change uboot settings via the serial console

http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php/Ku ... e_settings

.....a much more difficult box to hack in my opinion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:44 am 

Hi guys,

Okay, the serial cable is working. I connected it to the CN6 UART0 port on the front daughter PCB (as opposed to the serial port on the main motherboard).

I can see the output from the boot. It looks like it is trying to boot from the hard drive, but since that's not there it is falling back to TFTP. Here is the log:

Orion1 CPU = Low

=== KURO U-Boot. ===
** LOADER **
** KUROBOX BOARD: KURO_BOX LE (CFG_ENV_ADDR=fffff000)

U-Boot 1.1.1 (Apr 10 2007 - 18:10:08) Marvell version: 1.12.1 - TINY

DRAM CS[0] base 0x00000000 size 128MB
DRAM Total size 128MB
[256kB@fffc0000] Flash: 256 kB
Addresses 20M - 0M are saved for the U-Boot usage.
Mem malloc Initialization (20M - 16M): Done
NAND: 256 MB

Soc: 88F5182 A2
CPU: ARM926 (Rev 0) running @ 500Mhz
Orion 1 streaming disabled
SysClock = 250Mhz , TClock = 166Mhz

USB 0: host mode
USB 1: host mode
PCI 0: PCI Express Root Complex Interface
PCI 1: Conventional PCI, speed = 33000000
Net: egiga0 [PRIME]
Using 88E1118 phy
hit any key to switch tftp boot.
Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0
<<system_bootend>>

Reset IDE:
Marvell Serial ATA Adapter
Integrated Sata device found
Device 0: OK
Model: WDC WD5000AAKS-22TMA0 Firm: 12.01C01 Ser#: WD-WCA
PW410
Type: Hard Disk
Supports 48-bit addressing
Capacity: 476940.0 MB = 465.7 GB (976773168 x 512)

Using device ide0, partition 1
** Bad partition 1 **
<<stop_sound>>
## Booting image at 00100000 ...
Bad Magic Number
bootm fail.
<<system_not_found>>
egiga0 no link
Using egiga0 device
TFTP from server 192.168.11.1; our IP address is 192.168.11.150
Filename 'uImage.buffalo'.
Load address: 0x100000
Loading: T T
Retry count exceeded; starting again
egiga0 no link
Using egiga0 device
egiga0 no link
Using egiga0 device
egiga0 no link

and then this continues forever...

Next step is to "modify the uboot settings" to boot from /mtdblock2/ instead of the HD... But how do I do that? I'm not sure if what I'm seeing above is "The Console" or just an output stream of what's happening. I don't seem to be able to get to a command prompt.

Thanks for your help and patience.
James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:34 am 

check the log at the beginning :
Quote:

so press a key when "Hit any key to stop autoboot" is present and before the countdown hit 0 !
You'll then be able to enter commands :)

Then I guess that entering these commands :
Quote:
setenv default_kernel_addr 0x00100000
setenv bootargs_base console=ttyS0,115200
setenv bootargs_root root=/dev/mtdblock2 rw
setenv bootargs $(bootargs_base) $(bootargs_root) $(buffalo_ver)
setenv uImage_block 0
setenv uImage_offset 0x00020000
setenv bootcmd ‘nboot $(default_kernel_addr) $(uImage_block) $(uImage_offset); bootm $(default_kernel_addr)’

will allow you to boot the system in flash (as it was at your first boot :))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:25 pm 

Hello again,

Okay, I'm in and communicating (I had original had the terminal settings set for Hardware Flow Control by default, so any keystrokes I was typing weren't being sent).

I went in and changed the recommended environment variables, and I still can't boot. Here's what happens:

Orion1 CPU = Low

=== KURO U-Boot. ===
** LOADER **
** KUROBOX BOARD: KURO_BOX LE (CFG_ENV_ADDR=fffff000)

U-Boot 1.1.1 (Apr 10 2007 - 18:10:08) Marvell version: 1.12.1 - TINY

DRAM CS[0] base 0x00000000 size 128MB
DRAM Total size 128MB
[256kB@fffc0000] Flash: 256 kB
Addresses 20M - 0M are saved for the U-Boot usage.
Mem malloc Initialization (20M - 16M): Done
NAND: 256 MB

Soc: 88F5182 A2
CPU: ARM926 (Rev 0) running @ 500Mhz
Orion 1 streaming disabled
SysClock = 250Mhz , TClock = 166Mhz

USB 0: host mode
USB 1: host mode
PCI 0: PCI Express Root Complex Interface
PCI 1: Conventional PCI, speed = 33000000
Net: egiga0 [PRIME]
Using 88E1118 phy
<<system_bootend>>

Loading from device 0: <NULL> at 0xfa000000 (offset 0x20000)
Image Name: Linux-2.6.12.6-arm1
Created: 2007-04-10 13:45:13 UTC
Image Type: ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
Data Size: 1736548 Bytes = 1.7 MB
Load Address: 00008000
Entry Point: 00008000
<<stop_sound>>
## Booting image at 00100000 ...
Image Name: Linux-2.6.12.6-arm1
Created: 2007-04-10 13:45:13 UTC
Image Type: ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
Data Size: 1736548 Bytes = 1.7 MB
Load Address: 00008000
Entry Point: 00008000
Verifying Checksum ... OK
OK

Starting kernel ...

arg:$(bootargs_base) $(bootargs_root) $(buffalo_ver)
CONFIG_KUROBOX_PLATFORM CONFIG_KUROBOX_KUROBOX ---
Uncompressing Linux................................................................................................................. done, booting the kernel.

And then it hangs there forever.

Here is the current state of my environment variables.

Marvell>> printenv
baudrate=115200
loads_echo=0
ipaddr=192.168.11.150
serverip=192.168.11.1
rootpath=/nfs/arm
cpuName=926
CASset=min
MALLOC_len=4
bootargs_end=:::DB88FXX81:eth0:none
ethact=egiga0
buffalo_ver=BOOTVER=1.091
build_time=18:10:02
initrd=initrd.buffalo
kernel=uImage.buffalo
nand_uImage_offset=20000
default_initrd_addr=0x02000000
def_tftp=tftp $(default_kernel_addr) $(kernel); tftp $(default_initrd_addr) $(initrd); setenv bootargs $(bootargs_base) $(bootargs_root) rw initrd=0x02000040,20M panic=5 $(buffalo_ver); bootm $(default_kernel_addr) $(default_initrd_addr)
ethaddr=masked
default_kernel_addr=0x00100000
bootargs_base=console=ttyS0,115200
uImage_block=0
uImage_offset=0x00020000
bootcmd=nboot $(default_kernel_addr) $(uImage_block) $(uImage_offset); bootm $(d
efault_kernel_addr)
bootargs=$(bootargs_base) $(bootargs_root) $(buffalo_ver)
bootargs_root=root=/dev/mtdblock2 rw panic=5
stdin=serial
stdout=serial
stderr=serial
enaMonExt=no
enaFlashBuf=yes
enaCpuStream=no
ethprime=egiga0
bootdelay=3
disaMvPnp=no
overEthAddr=no
usb0Mode=host
usb1Mode=host

Also, in case someone else is reading this in the future, to set the environment variables that have strings in them, you need to put apostrophes around the text part, otherwise it converts yoru strings to the value of the parameter. Basically, I think you need to type it in like this:
setenv bootargs='$(bootargs_base) $(bootargs_root) $(buffalo_ver)'

Anyway, let me know if you have an idea why I'm not booting from mtdblock2 and I'll try it!

Thanks!
James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:49 pm 

Hello again,

Okay, I got it working finally. I was wrong about the apostrophes, you do NOT need them on this command:
setenv bootargs $(bootargs_base) $(bootargs_root) $(buffalo_ver)

They are however needed for this command:
setenv bootcmd 'nboot $(default_kernel_addr) $(uImage_block) $(uImage_offset); bootm $(default_kernel_addr)'

Anyway, that got me booting again from mtdblock2.

So I put the 4 files required for the Freelink install into /kuro_ip/mtd device/, pressed the red button, and....

The info light flashed for a very long time (15 minutes or forever).
The serial console spit out that 4 partitions were created and then stopped there forever.

The freelink hddrootfs.tar.gz file was not decompressed and also the uBoot settings were not modified to boot from the hard drive.

Rebooting the box causes it to boot again from /mtdblock2/

If I telnet in I can see that the partitions are set up, but that's all that's been done.

Not exactly sure why this isn't working. I guess I'm not quite back to "factory condition" yet.

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks,
James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:02 pm 

Hello again,

I'm not able to figure out what is happening. I'm pretty sure I'm back to "factory", in that I am booting from mtdblock2. I have unmounted /mnt/disk1. I deleted all 4 partitions using fdisk. I even removed the directory disk1 from the /mnt/ folder.

I copied the 3 files from the CD (ChangeMeDevHDD, ChangeMyUbootEnv,
uImage.buffalo) and also the Freelink rootfs renamed as hddrootfs.tar.gz to the /mtd device folder.

When I press the red button the info light flashes and this is spit out of the console:

SCSI device sda: 976773168 512-byte hdwr sectors (500108 MB)
SCSI device sda: drive cache: write back
sda: sda1 sda2 sda3 sda4
SCSI device sda: 976773168 512-byte hdwr sectors (500108 MB)
SCSI device sda: drive cache: write back
sda: sda1 sda2 sda3 sda4

And that's it, it stops. The info light will flash forever.
Definate the rootfs is not untarred and definately the uboot settings are not updated to boot from the hard drive.

I reboot the system, and it still boots from mtdblock2.
If I connect to the box from samba I see two shares, mtd block and share. If I open share I can see some files that I copied in there a week ago. Stuff that seems to have survived multiple partition deletions that I've been doing over the last few days.

One other thing I'll mention, I even tried copying all FOUR files from the CD to mtd device and pressing the read button to see if it would install the Buffalo developer system to the hard drive. Even that didn't work, it stops in the same place as described above.

So obviously I am missing something, just wondering if anyone has any ideas that may help.

Thanks
James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:50 pm 

I don't know why the "button push" method is not working for you at this point (I suppose that would require knowing exactly what it does) however you can change the uboot settings to boot up from the hard drive manually using the serial console.

http://www.linkstationwiki.net/index.ph ... DRIVE_BOOT

Post subject: SOLVED.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:04 pm 

Hi guys,

Okay, I'm finally running Freelink Debian. To solve the problem mentioned in the post directly above I needed to remove the hard drive and drop it into my Windows PC. I downloaded a program called Killdisk (http://www.killdisk.com/) and used it to write all 00's to the drive. Since I felt like I only needed to blow away the FAT and partition table I only bothered to let it run to 1% completion (it looked like it was going to take a long time). I put the hard drive back into the Kurobox Pro, booted, copied the appropriate files to /mtd device/ and then pressed the red button. This time, I could hear the hard drive doing lots of churning, which was different then my last several attempts. After about 5 minutes the info light stopped flashing, so I rebooted.

After reboot I had a Debian login prompt.

So I'm all good. The only depressing part is that if I had just installed Freelink in the first place this would have only taken 5 minutes, instead of like 2 weeks. :roll:

Thanks everyone for your guidance on this issue. I at least feel like I learned something. I'll probably have more questions to ask as I get into the Freelink stuff.

Thanks!
James

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next