Kurobox NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Kuro Community
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:43 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:00 am 

Hi,

Does anyone have experience with compiling the kernel (and modules) with Freelink? I guess I need a new module for iSCSI but I can't find the kernel sources on the Freelink image.

Kris

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:49 am 

kris wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone have experience with compiling the kernel (and modules) with Freelink? I guess I need a new module for iSCSI but I can't find the kernel sources on the Freelink image.

Kris

You'll need to try here:
http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php/Bu ... ernel_Port
and build a whole new kernel. I haven't tried that yet and there is limited success from what I hear about whether this works with the kuropro.

Post subject: iscsi_tcp kernel module
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:45 am 

Hi,

With my limited linux knowledge I assume I need to more or less do:

1. Get kernel source tree for the stock kernel
2. Get correct config files that make the stock kernel
3. Adapt the config files in order to make the iscsi_tcp kernel module
4. Compile/make the iscsi_tcp module

Judging from the supplied link above there is not (yet) alot of experience in the world to do this. But maybe I am wrong... Anyone done this before?

Kris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:49 am 

I'm trying to make the kernel boot on the kurobox pro !

Be aware that it's still beeing in developpement so, for now :
- you have to use the linkstation kernel config to compile a kernel that will boot on the kurobox pro (I'll trying to find why setting the target as beeing a kurobox pro is not working for now)
- There are some (big) reliability problems with XFS partitions (on the kurobox the user partition is in XFS, so you'll have to format it as an EXT2/3 partition if you want to use this kernel)

But you are almost right :
- get the kernel source from subversion (svn)
- install a crosscompilation environement on you computer (+ mkimage from u-boot) or compilation tools (+ mkimage from u-boot) on your kurobox pro if you want to compile the kernel on it
- get the linkstation config from svn and copy it as ".config" in the kernel root directory
- "make menuconfig" and add your wanted modules
- "make uImage modules modules_install"
- have a break
- rename the /boot/uImage.buffalo (check the name, i'm not sure it the right name) to something like /boot/uImage.buffalo.backup
- copy the fresh uImage (somewhere in arch/arm/boot/uImage if i remember well) to /boot/uImage.buffalo (or whatever was the right name before)
- reboot
- if it's not working, take out the drive, put it in a computer that can read ext2/3, mount partition 1 and replace uImage.buffalo with uImage.buffalo.backup, umount the partition, put back the hdd in the kuro pro, restart it and try to guess what was wrong :p

Good luck :)

Sylver

Sylver

Post subject: modules only
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:00 pm 

Hi,

Would it be possible to leave the kernel untouched and just add the additional modules that i need? Pfew, reading up on everything it seems to me that my old kurobox is easier to change. (btw the old one has an uptime of almost 1 year now!) I guess i will abandon my iscsi efforts for now, and hope and wait until the kernels can be build reliably,

Kris

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]