Kurobox NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Kuro Community
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:35 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:18 pm 

I'm changing the title a bit to hopefully get some responses.

If you are running a Kuro-box Pro, what SATA drive are you using?

Bonus question: Just what SATA capabilities can this box take advantage of? SATA-II capable?, NCQ?

I'd like to buy a drive today or tomorrow, but not sure if spending any extra on a faster SATA drive versus a cheaper one is worth any amount of money. Seagate perpendicular drives are supposed to be higher response, WD claims 8.5 ms avg seek times - is it worth it?

thanks,

-- old text
I was surprised when I searched around and found nothing specific to this - and the Wiki topic on hard drives still says IDE, not SATA drives (if I knew how to wiki, I might edit it and make a comment!).

I checked the tech-spec PDF and I think it's saying SATA-I, not SATA-II? It says "sata v 1.0" but it also says up to 3GBps, which I always thought was SATA-II. Perhaps the controller just doesn't do NCQ?

You "pro" users out there, what drives are you using? I suspect the Kuro-pro isn't going to take advantage of the high-end SATA-II drives, so suggestions on the lower end, 5400?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:01 pm 

I put one of thesein mine. I haven't done any tests as far as performance or anything else as I've been struggling with distro choice and other things. It works fine otherwise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:57 pm 

Thanks for the response. I've had my eye on the exact same drive but not sure it's worth the extra $25 for 16MB cash vs. 8MB, perpendicular vs. conventional, 3Gb/s vs. 1.5Gb/s, NCQ support.

I am sure all name-brand SATA drives are going to work, but is the Pro capable of using NCQ? Or even 3Gb/s?

I know the network will be the bottelneck in terms of data transfer rate, so it makes me wonder if the cheapest 1.5Gb/s, non-NCQ, 8MB cach drive would perform just as well (or neglible difference).

I do plan to push the limit and do jumbo frames (lotta file transfer) so if a higher-end drive will actually be used, then it's worth it! (Granted, what's $25 in the schema of things).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:27 am 

I am running one of these

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:51 am 

I went ahead and bought the WD5000AAKS:

https://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductD ... ode=101259

Couldn't pass up the price. I do still wonder if I'm benefiting at all from the extra features and could have saved $20 by going SATA-1, 8MB cache.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:41 pm 

dougyp wrote:
I'd like to buy a drive today or tomorrow, but not sure if spending any extra on a faster SATA drive versus a cheaper one is worth any amount of money. Seagate perpendicular drives are supposed to be higher response, WD claims 8.5 ms avg seek times - is it worth it?

I have a KuroHG, not a Kuro-Pro (so please ignore my beer-fuelled ramblings if you want to).

But... in any computer system there's a limiting factor to the system's performance. Good though the Kuro is, I'd suspect that it's limiting factor is the Kuro itself, not the hard-disk you connect to it.

I wouldn't bother too much about the hard-disk, other than to select a device with a decent MTBF and one whose manufacturer you trust with respect to reliability.

True, there are some really fast drives available, but the hardware of the Kuro, and the software likely to be installed on it, probably aren't able to keep up with the best of drives. If you need super-duper performance, the Kuro probably ain't the best choice. For me, it's a device more suited to an "always available, little trouble" machine rather than being a high-performance beast.

Matthew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:14 am 

yeah, Lardmonster is right.

do not waste too much money on the hdd. its no usb-hdd....its connected to the net. the limiting factors is the kurobox itself....and if you only have a 100 mbit network it is the network.

kernel 2.6 webinstaller: http://hvkls.dyndns.org/news/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:27 am 

Thanks for the feedback guys. I did order a "higher-end" SATA just because the price point has come down so far and I figure that if I fill up the 500GB, I can replace it with a TB drive and the 500Gigger will still have decent performance for a desktop machine.

But for the sake of the next shopper. Although, you could get away with a SATA-1, 8MB cache and save $20 or whatever. I am still curious that with gig-ethernet and perhaps jumbo frames, couldn't a faster drive still make the overall performance of the NAS faster? That's really the question I had in mind - maybe 500Kbps bump is worth it for some people, and others just don't care and would not spend the extra $20...

It's also just a curiosity in the sense that I see nothing in the tech-documents that will tell you if NCQ or 300MB/sec is supported by the device!

thanks

(and hey mindbender, thanks for the specific tips on jumbo frames - I'm going to give it a try once I've got everything else working!)

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]