Kurobox NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Kuro Community
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:09 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Genlink Functionality
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:21 pm 

So far I have been remiss to subject by KuroBoxPro (KBP) to the instructions provided for Genlink because it's a one way street, with regards to uboot, and I will not be able to go back easily of it isn't what I want. So far I have been telneting into the KBP partitioning by HD and extracting the Genlink tar and then chrooting into the new environment and attempting to upgrade and install software and generally administer the KBP as I do on my other Gentoo Linux (x86) boxes. I am getting many failed compiles on the box and generally there seems to be many missing things like proper headers.
So my questions:
  1. Are we stuck with mostly using the binaries compiled for the KBP? (I say mostly because 1 in 10 things I attempted to emerge from source in the chrooted environment actually compiled.)
  2. Seeing as you have a functioning Linux system that you can telnet into can one do a base Gentoo install, as per Gentoo's own documentation and stage tarballs, and start from scratch that way or do you need to do cross compiling on another machine in order to get something workable on the KBP? (I would prefer this as I'm quite comfortable with Gentoo on the x86 architecture and want my KBP to be set up the way I like rather than how things are done in Genlink.)
  3. How was the Genlink tarball created? If there are some steps online for how it was made I would like to take a stab at doing one myself.

I admit I know almost nothing about the arm architecture and what limitations that may have with regards to Linux/Gentoo functionality. Thanks in Advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:18 am 

I'd be curious to hear more about this as well.

But is it really a "one way street" on the Kuro Pro? I thought it used uboot by default so one could fix any problems by simply removing the drive and reformatting it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:54 am 

On a stock KBP you initially can login via telnet to the linux system in flash. Once you go through the process of making it boot from the HDD you cannot simply undo that process and boot from flash again unless you have done all the serial cable voodoo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:00 pm 

But you can swap the drive out and put a different Linux on it can't you? How specific is what is in the flash to the HDD Linux distro/config?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:38 pm 

True you can take the drive out and install a new distro and put it back in. It certainly isn't the end of the world but mostly a pain in the ass. I think, because you can telnet in and have a working Linux system on a stock Kuro, one should be able to install Gentoo the way you would on another platform and be able to set it up just the way you like (which is really the whole point of Gentoo). Of course Arm isn't very well documented and I am slowly, in my spare time, figuring out how to get the tool-chain together to set up a very sparse stage 1 tarball that I can drop on the Kuro and compile everything from there. I know some folks complain that it's slow but I've done it on a P3@500 mhz and you just start it up and go do something else. I kind of think binary installs for Gentoo almost defeats the purpose of Gentoo and the power of portage.

I figure it will take a while but I will figure it out. There's a lot on the linkstation Wiki but some of it is hard to find.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:32 am 

i do not understand why it should be a one way street.

but i see the current problems.

actually timtimred is on its way to solve that problems by creating a initrd called foonas-em for all archs via openembedded.

you can load it via tftp (uboot asks for the kernel/initrd via tftp if it cannot read them from the hdd) and you can login via telnet to prepare everything from there. then the normal gentoo/debian/ubuntu installation method should work.

kernel 2.6 webinstaller: http://hvkls.dyndns.org/news/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:15 am 

Given how much flash RAM is available to the Kuro Pro, I would prefer that it boot in a similar fashion to the Playstation 3.

The PS3 has a micro distribution in flash RAM that you can customize if you wish. The PS3 boots to that distro, looks for a file on the HDD /boot partition that contains instructions on how to boot, what kernel to use, etc. If it can't find the boot file then it should just stop and wait for a telnet connection.

I'd like to read more about how the Kuro Pro boots up (nothing too technical) and what limitations it has. Can someone supply a link?

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]