Kurobox NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Kuro Community
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:03 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:54 am 

I'm using an Original Kuro in a production environment as a proxy server. It's been running very nicely with little intervention for over a year! I came into work this morning and noticed some web problems. I went to the server room and found my blessed little Kuro with the "DIAG" light flashing. Realizing this was affecting my entire organization, I removed the Kuro and brought it to my desk. First I logged into my local PC and checked the status of my UPS for any power outages or spikes. None found. So I hooked up the Kuro directly to my bench PC. I slid the X over switch and got NIC lights on my bench PC. I first tried to ping it on my internal network IP address and got nothing. I then shut it down and rebooted it in EM mode. I set my bench PC to 192.168.11.160 and tried to ping the kuro on 192.168.11.150. "Request Timed Out". No telnet, no SSH. I opened up the kuro and checked all the connections. Everything seems to be physically in its placeand functioning. HD is spinning up, FAN is running. If I boot it out of EM mode, by the lights on the front, it seems it's trying to boot. It tries to load for 4 or 5 minutes before the DIAG light comes on. Any ideas? Any way I can get into this thing and figure out the issue? Should I just order a new box and slap this drive into it? Is it bricked?

Thanks,

Dave

Last edited by miataman92 on Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:01 am 

People are reading this post but not proving any help!! Please, give me some input on how I can fix this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:50 pm 

By "original kuro" I assume you don't have a kuro Pro. How is the DIAG LED blinking? Look here: http://www.nas-central.org/index.php/Hardware_LEDs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:09 am 

Thank you for your reply. I was not aware of the URL you provided. Thank you for that. According to the DIAG flash code, this is my issue:

6 times blink Hard drive not found, or ppc_uartd is not running.*3

Now, where to go from here? Is the drive toast? Is it just the loader? Why can't I get a telnet connection in EM mode? Will that only work if a working drive is in the Kuro? Thanks for your assistance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:46 am 

You should try to plug the HDD on a Linux computer to check if everything is ok with it ! It looks like a HDD failure anyway !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:10 am 

OK. It's not the hard drive. I have removed the drive and placed it in another machine. It doesn't boot into Debian, but I'm able to run diags on it and I find all 3 partitions (EXT2, EXT2, and SWAP) and the checker reads them and the MBR as ok. So is it the Kuro? And when is Revo going to have more in stock? I would like to replace the box and see if that works. The fact that I can't get a ping in EM mode or talk to this box in any way has me concerned that maybe something on board has died. Any other suggestions? When is Revo going to have more Kuros?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:04 am 

Tell me if my thought process is correct. Since I have 3 partitions EXT2 (boot), SWAP and EXT2 (Data), could I not just delete the active boot partition, force EM mode, then reinstall while leaving the 3rd partition intact?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:39 pm 

The FAQ (http://nas-central.org/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions#OK.2C_how_do_I_force_EM_mode.3F) says there are two ways to get into EM mode (with the original firmware).

The first method won't work for you because it requires access to the box after a successful boot and writing NGNG to /dev/fl3.

The second method says install a blank drive, but I think you are correct, it's the first partition that matters. If there is no /dev/hda1 it will go into EM mode. It's worth a try anyway if you don't need that partition.

Post subject: Solution found?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:35 pm 

I have the same exact trouble with my Kurobox and wonder if anybody came across a solution to Dave's problem.

As in Dave's case, mine ran fine for the longest time (a year maybe !?!) and then started coming up with the six-count diag wink, indicating a hard disk failure.

I pulled the drive, connected it to a PC and booted the PC with Knoppix, only to find that the drive was readable and the file systems appeared intact. I ran fsck on it and checked for bad blocks.

I also checked the error logs and found nothing amiss.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:07 am 

could it be that fsck is being forced because of the length of time? 365 days since fsck has been run on /? And if ppc_uartd doesn't run until after fsck it could be an issue?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:43 am 

The diag light blinking six times can mean several things, but the only one that should occur with a "modern" modified firmware and distribution is an actual bad hard drive. If you remove the drive from the kurobox and can access it in another linux box then your most likely problem is a forced fsck taking longer than the kuroevtd allows before it times out and determines the hard drive is bad, triggering the 6 blinks on diag. It's been a few years since I encountered that problem, but the thread can be found here.

viewtopic.php?t=651

The other thread I linked to might contain more useful information as well. In short the solution is to simply fsck the drive in another system and put it back in the kurobox. That resets the fsck counter/timer and allows the kuroevtd to successfully complete the boot process.

BTW - I strongly recommend upgrading your kurobox to a newer firmware, one of many things it fixes is the forced fsck timeout.

-Nat

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]