Kurobox NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Kuro Community
It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:19 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Getting started
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:47 am 

Okay, I've dug around a bit. I have a NAS device here and I'm getting awful performance out of it. I'm pretty sure a kuro box will be my best bet. Looking here this seems to be a pretty easy way to put Gentoo on it. One other part of the wiki said that I should already have some type of OS running before I can bother installing Gentoo.

From what I've seen of the models here in Japan, they are only sold w/o HD. I'm kind of at a Chicken and the Egg scenario. How do you get the initial OS on there? I see each Distros respective page, but don't see a "your first Linux on your box" page.

Also, the spec part of the Wiki says a 2nd 3.5" HDD can be added as long as I get a ribbon that will support a slave drive. I assume there's a bay for this 2nd drive, and it will fit in there nicely? I need a RAID1 setup, so this is kind of a key point.

Cheers
GP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:50 pm 

Note, the page you found is for the original kurobox or the kurobox HG which has a powerpc processor. I don't know if they are still available, but it appears you can still order them from Revolution. The kurobox Pro has come out (although I have heard there may be availablity problems) which has an arm9 processor. If you get a kurobox pro, and you want to look into gentoo, you should look for GenLink on the nas-central.org wiki.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:54 pm 

As far as your "chicken and egg" situation goes...

The Kuro has a minimal linux installation which can run entirely out of flash RAM. It does panic if there's no hard disk present, but it doesn't need any partitions on the HDD.

Using this minimal linux system, it's possible to get root access (either using telnet or ssh) - and from there you can start to install your preferred system to the hard disk.

The final piece of the puzzle is to configure the bootloader to run the system on your hard-disk, rather than the minimal linux system.

(I happily ran Gentoo for a while on my Kuro HG, but quickly tired of the long compile times... so switched Ubuntu 7.04. Haven't found a need to upgrade the box to version 7.10 yet)

There are only two major differences between a Kuro-friendly installation and the normal distro you'd find on a PC: (1) for 2.6 kernel, you'll need a Kuro-compatible device tree and (2) you'll need "avr_evtd" to control the hardware watchdog timer (this also handles button presses, lights and fan speed, etc)

Matthew

Edit: these comments are for the Kuro HG - things may be slightly different for the Kuro Pro

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]