Kurobox NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Kuro Community
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:58 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:07 pm 

I finally was able to test a RAM build with a script that looks like this:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
sync;sync;insmod -f /usr/src/uloader.o uboot=/usr/src/u-boot-hg.ram.bin laddr=0x07f00000
reboot -f

But unfortunately it won't boot my 2.6.22 kernel. It loads it and uncompresses it ok but it never says anything about loading the device tree and I get nothing more on the nc window after that. So I don't know what's wrong, I'm wondering if it's my kernel and the uboot build is ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:45 pm 

I too get the message "kernel too old".

How I made it work :
- first use debootsrap to install debian sarge (we'll use /.sarge) and set it up (kernel, fstab, udev .... ask google if you're not familiar with)
- then boot into em mode
- switch your actual system with the sarge (put it into /.gentoo for example), and move the content of /.sarge to the root)
- chroot now works (it'll use sarge binaries)
- flash
- reverse steps : remove the sarge and put the content of /.gentoo back to the root.

It's a bit confuse (and sorry for my bad english) and complicated, but it worked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:00 am 

russK wrote:
In my case I blew away my existing install (since I was going to start over anyway) and installed the gentoo with binaries that will run under the 2.4 kernel.

In order to start over, dont I have to reflash the kuro? I am currently running with u-boot 2.6 kernel. As far as I recall, way back when, this procedure required to flash the kuro at some point. So I'm guessing I probably have to do that again, in order to be able to start from scratch? Or should I just reboot my kuro into my current gentoo installation and downgrade my glibc as well as my kernel? (of course making sure that I create a uboot kernel)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:34 pm 

ffoster56 wrote:
In order to start over, dont I have to reflash the kuro? I am currently running with u-boot 2.6 kernel. As far as I recall, way back when, this procedure required to flash the kuro at some point. So I'm guessing I probably have to do that again, in order to be able to start from scratch? Or should I just reboot my kuro into my current gentoo installation and downgrade my glibc as well as my kernel? (of course making sure that I create a uboot kernel)

No, you don't have to reflash the kuro, you just need an OS with insmod on the harddrive that will run under the EM mode kernel. Your current uboot will get you into EM mode I assume. You could do what zyprexa suggested. Or if you don't need you current install you can reformat hda1 and install an OS like the 15-minute gentoo but pick the non-uboot flavor (it will work with uboot too).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:23 pm 

Note, I was having a hard time getting a 1.2 uboot to work until I figured out that the 1.1.4 uboot environment was screwing up the 1.2 uboot.
I had to do this in the 1.2 uboot in nc:

Code:
protect off fff60000 fff6ffff
erase fff60000 fff6ffff
(and then reset)

I found this by reading an old thread: http://forum.nas-central.org/viewtopic.php?p=26934#p26934

And you can see I was posting about my frustrations in the nas-central forum: http://forum.nas-central.org/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=4156

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:14 pm 

Please pardon my denseness.

Quote:
No, you don't have to reflash the kuro, you just need an OS with insmod on the harddrive that will run under the EM mode kernel. Your current uboot will get you into EM mode I assume. You could do what zyprexa suggested. Or if you don't need you current install you can reformat hda1 and install an OS like the 15-minute gentoo but pick the non-uboot flavor (it will work with uboot too).

My (feeble) understanding is that I *do* need to re-flash u-boot if I want to use the new u-boot and 2.6 in-stream kernel together, becasue of the device-tree issue, no?

I still have the 2.4.17 kernel in flash, and eventually my system boots into the 2.6.20 kernel built by Sylver. Though I may have correctly built a new u-boot, as far as I can tell there is no clear path to test it in RAM, since I get an 'invalid module format' error when I try to run the u-boot-load-hg.sh script from within my debian install, per the wiki instructions for the 2.6 mainstream kernel. And I don't want to try to flash it without testing it first, lest I become a resident of Brick City.

RussK thatks for your suggestion to modify the pathnames. I'll try to take a look at that, but I really think folks like me would benfit from some kind samritan posting a pre-built u-boot that would work with your new gentoo image. I realize it's still under development, but I hope you'll consider the needs of dumb folks like me as you proceed :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:10 pm 

twigman@yahoo.com wrote:
My (feeble) understanding is that I *do* need to re-flash u-boot if I want to use the new u-boot and 2.6 in-stream kernel together, becasue of the device-tree issue, no?

Yes, you're right, sorry I misunderstood you.

twigman@yahoo.com wrote:
I still have the 2.4.17 kernel in flash, and eventually my system boots into the 2.6.20 kernel built by Sylver. Though I may have correctly built a new u-boot, as far as I can tell there is no clear path to test it in RAM, since I get an 'invalid module format' error when I try to run the u-boot-load-hg.sh script from within my debian install, per the wiki instructions for the 2.6 mainstream kernel. And I don't want to try to flash it without testing it first, lest I become a resident of Brick City.

The uloader.o module only works under a 2.4 kernel. I tested it under a 2.4 kernel, but had troubles because I had uboot 1.1.4 in flash already and the environment screwed up the 1.2 uboot I was trying to test. I finally gave up and then mindbender pointed me to a known-good 1.2 uboot that I flashed the old fashioned way while in EM mode. (and then I still had troubles because of the environment issue, fixed by erasing the environment as I posted in the post above)

I can point you to the same uboot that mindbender pointed me to, it works :wink:
http://downloads.nas-central.org/Users/timtimred/lsppchg/u-boot-lsppchg-1.2.0-r2.bin
Note, you can tell by the filename that it's for an HG. If you don't have an HG, don't flash it!

I see timtimred also has another uboot download,
http://downloads.nas-central.org/Users/timtimred/lsppchd/u-boot-lsppchd-1.2.0-r2.bin
that I suppose would work for original kuro (?) but "hd" confuses me a little so maybe ask timtimred to be sure if you don't have an HG.

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7