Kurobox NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Kuro Community
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:12 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:55 am 

lyakh wrote:
cheburashka wrote:
there are no instructions for getting the new u-boot tested and then copied to firmware if you are booted into a 2.6 kernel.
Because that's impossible (atm). loading a new U-boot into RAM is only supported with 2.4 kernels via uloader.o. You'd need to port that to 2.6. Or DO boot into 2.4 and use uloader.o there.

Thanks
Guennadi

Guenadi: That is the whole point.

Is it possible to use uloader from EM mode? If not... then how do those of us who already switched to a 2.6(ppc) installation and the older u-boot move to the new u-boot and new 2.6(powerpc) installation?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:16 pm 

lyakh wrote:

Otherwise, there's an ongoing development in the kernel to enable booting new arch/powerpc based kernels from "old" u-boot - the keyword is "bootwrapper". If someone needs it, I think, it wouldn't be too difficult to do.

Thanks
Guennadi

Guennadi, I've been trying to find this "bootwrapper" thing without success. Can you provide some more info? Thanks.

Post subject: bootwrapper
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:37 am 

cheburashka wrote:
I've been trying to find this "bootwrapper" thing without success. Can you provide some more info?
Look, for example, here:
http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-de ... html#31370
Notice, however, that this is still under development, and this is a developmer activity, will, probably, require some programming, don't know how difficult, though.

In short, in principle the only possibility to boot a powerpc Linux kernel currently is by providing it with a device-tree / open-firmware interface. However, there are a number of platforms with non-compliant firmware, for which a "bootwrapper" interface has been developed. Which on one side accepts whatever information the existing bootloader provides, inserts the necessary fields in a device-tree template and boots the kernel proper with that one. And the "cuimage" format is for booting powerpc kernels from older u-boot.

Thanks
Guennadi

Post subject: Re: bootwrapper
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:14 pm 

lyakh wrote:
cheburashka wrote:
I've been trying to find this "bootwrapper" thing without success. Can you provide some more info?
Look, for example, here:
http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-de ... html#31370
Notice, however, that this is still under development, and this is a developmer activity, will, probably, require some programming, don't know how difficult, though.

In short, in principle the only possibility to boot a powerpc Linux kernel currently is by providing it with a device-tree / open-firmware interface. However, there are a number of platforms with non-compliant firmware, for which a "bootwrapper" interface has been developed. Which on one side accepts whatever information the existing bootloader provides, inserts the necessary fields in a device-tree template and boots the kernel proper with that one. And the "cuimage" format is for booting powerpc kernels from older u-boot.

Thanks
Guennadi

Thanks, G. I don't think I'm the right person to be on the bleeding-edge of this one. Can I use uloader.o to load the RAM version of the new u-boot if I'm in EM mode?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:58 pm 

Quote:
Can I use uloader.o to load the RAM version of the new u-boot if I'm in EM mode?
I don't know, never tried. It MUST work, since EM mode is just booting a 2.4 kernel with a root filesystem in flash. At least, nothing should break if you try. Just make sure to use a suitable module / the correct memory address for u-boot. Just try it a couple of times, should be possible to get it to work.

Thanks
Guennadi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:36 pm 

lyakh wrote:
Quote:
Can I use uloader.o to load the RAM version of the new u-boot if I'm in EM mode?
I don't know, never tried. It MUST work, since EM mode is just booting a 2.4 kernel with a root filesystem in flash. At least, nothing should break if you try. Just make sure to use a suitable module / the correct memory address for u-boot. Just try it a couple of times, should be possible to get it to work.

Thanks
Guennadi

I'm getting ready to try this as soon as gentoo marks a 6.20+ kernel clean for PPC. What will I need to bring into EM mode--insloader? Does it depend on anything?

EM mode is very bare. (I am sooo not the person to be trying this first.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:18 pm 

cheburashka wrote:
(I am sooo not the person to be trying this first.)

Far be it from me to encourage you (seriously - don't do it if you're not happy)... but if you do, it'd be great if you'd make some detailed notes! ;-)

I'm very tempted to do it too, but there are too many unanswered questions for my liking, and no LNI-like instructions for building the new U-Boot and the associated dts/dtc/dtb files...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:19 am 

Lardmonster wrote:
cheburashka wrote:
(I am sooo not the person to be trying this first.)

Far be it from me to encourage you (seriously - don't do it if you're not happy)... but if you do, it'd be great if you'd make some detailed notes! ;-)

I'm very tempted to do it too, but there are too many unanswered questions for my liking, and no LNI-like instructions for building the new U-Boot and the associated dts/dtc/dtb files...

Actually, I found the instructions for building the new u-boot and associated files, on the wiki link at the beginning of this thread, very easy to follow. My only issue is loading the RAM version of u-boot from a 2.6 rather than 2.4 kernel...

Do you have any thoughts on what I'll need to bring into EM mode with me to do it from there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:06 pm 

Its probably easier to update uloader to be a 2.6 kernel module.

Might be something I will be looking into shortly for a different project I am looking at. Shortly means next couple of weeks though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:13 pm 

Javascout wrote:

Might be something I will be looking into shortly for a different project I am looking at. Shortly means next couple of weeks though.

I can definitely wait a couple of weeks. Much better idea than trying to cut a new path myself. I'm also not even going to attempt this until a 6.20+ kernel gets marked green for ppc by gentoo. (I have two reasons to upgrade. One is kernel panics with large samba transfers and jumbo frames enabled. The other, and more central, is that I need to have a kernel with matching source to install certain userspace-filesystem extensions I want to try out. So there isn't a point for me until there's a kernel marked gentoo-stable.)

Is there any way I can be helpful to you in getting this out sooner rather than later?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:34 pm 

Javascout wrote:

Just wanted to check in and see if you had taken a look at the 2.6 loader.o issue...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:04 pm 

Nope.
No time probably will not get to a for a month or so

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:06 pm 

Javascout wrote:
Nope.
No time probably will not get to a for a month or so

I was actually able to get it to work tonight from EM Mode. 2.6.20.2 is working nicely (so far).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:36 am 

cheburashka wrote:
I was actually able to get it to work tonight from EM Mode. 2.6.20.2 is working nicely (so far).

Excellent, good work :-)

When you say "got it to work from EM mode"... I'd guess you built U-Boot and the new kernel in your 2.6.x system, and rebooted to the 2.4.x EM mode for the 'test RAM build' and 'write to flash' stages?

I'd guess also that in the "test RAM build" stage you managed to get the new U-Boot to boot your existing 2.6.19 kernel from the hard disk?

Matthew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:16 am 

Lardmonster wrote:
cheburashka wrote:

Excellent, good work :-)

When you say "got it to work from EM mode"... I'd guess you built U-Boot and the new kernel in your 2.6.x system, and rebooted to the 2.4.x EM mode for the 'test RAM build' and 'write to flash' stages?

I'd guess also that in the "test RAM build" stage you managed to get the new U-Boot to boot your existing 2.6.19 kernel from the hard disk?

Matthew

Those guesses are mostly right. I haven't written to flash yet--I am still on my first boot into 2.6.20.2, and haven't yet rebooted. I'm going to look around to find a later patched version of u-boot, and experiment a bit with the defines, before I write to flash. (I really want to delay as long as possible having to deal w/ this u-boot stuff again.) Among other things, I think the fail order should be hdboot then emmode, not flboot. I don't think flboot will work when you have a 2.6.20 partition on your drive, so the fallback, I think, should be EM.

Also, I did not get the new u-boot to boot my existing kernel (which is 2.6.18 slyver) from disk. I had been told in this thread that that wouldn't work because there's no dts file, so I didn't try it.

Actually, on my penultimate attempt I had several failures getting the ram build to load (these were my own fault--typo in the patch to the u-boot ram binary) and when I finally did get it loaded it had lots of chksum errors and wouldn't go into em mode. My next attempt did not have any chksum errors and worked going into 2.6.20.2 right off the bat, but I didn't try emmode. So, I have to make sure it goes into EM before I flash also.

One other thing for the next person who tries it: On the first load, 2.6.20 did not recognize my USB external drives. They worked find after I manually started hotplug, though. I think (guess) the issue is that the slyver kernels had the USB storage modules built in, and that 2.6.20 has them dynamically loading. But that's just a guess.

And another thing: I didn't do anything to change tty's or avr's. The only change I made was to fstab. So, maybe there's some aspect of 2.6.20.2 that isn't really working--but I haven't seen it yet. Can anyone suggest why its working for me without doing those things?

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next