Kurobox NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Kuro Community
It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:03 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hope i've not bricked it
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:11 am 

Hi everyone - Just got my shiny new kuro hg, played about with gentoo on it and then decided I wanted to install uboot and use a 2.6 kernel.

I installed Uboot on my kuro hg. The uboot I used was precompiled - u-boot-hg.flash.bin and was a Sylver release.

I unpacked the gentoo image to the drive and placed a precompiled kuro kernel in /boot/ (kernel-2.6.18.1-mh7_kurobox_hg-20061103).

After a restart I was able to get netcat to connect to the kuro and stop the boot. I had the system set up with my laptop on a small network not connected to the net. When leaving the kuro booting, I could watch the system get to "Decompressing kernel" and then it would freeze. I took the drive out and mounted it on a linux box, changed all references of hda to sda in /etc/fstab and rebooted. The same thing.

At this point I think I did something quite silly. I tried to change the IP address of the kuro from its default 11.150 to something else - the thing that my networks dhcp server likes to assign it (when its working!) I then se the ip address of netcat to the default address of my laptop. Restart everything and yep, you've guessed it I cannot access it.

Now when I turn it on, the power light slowly fades in and out. Nothing else.

Is there an easy way to get the box to boot to em mode or do I need to get it properly unbricked by someone.

Thanks in advance.

...Ph0b

Post subject: Not bricked, I think
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:22 pm 

Hi

Well, I'd say it doesn't seem to be bricked. Probably, you made a mistake assigning an IP address and now you cannot find it any more. I would suggest you start a network sniffer on your network. Beware, if you have a switch, you won't see packets sent to another addresses. So, I'd either connect the kurobox directly to a PC / laptop with a crossover eth cable, or over a hub (NOT switch) and use tcpdump / ethereal / wireshark to see if and with which addresses your u-boot sends packets.

Good luck
Guennadi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:21 pm 

Also maybe helpful...

... you can see the various meanings of the LEDs blinking here on the wiki.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:17 pm 

The LNI version has a minimal console that will allow you to boot into EM Mode. Once in EM you should be able to mount hda1 and change the IP address of your box.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:02 am 

Thanks for all your help and suggestions!

Ok, so I connected the box via crossover cable and captured the packets using ethereal. The only packets sent out are using the ARP protocol - basically "Who has 0.0.0.0 tell 192.168.11.150". I read up on ARP packets and as the above suggests, it is trying to discover the route to 0.0.0.0 - I take it that this is not right. Is it possible that when I set the location of the NC host it was not saved correctly and it has defaulted to an illegal address?

All the kuro does is send these ARP packets no matter how long you leave it.

Thanks for the guide on the lights, after about a second of turning on, the power light slowly fades on and off - suggesting (according to the wiki) that the shutdown timer has been initiated. It never turns itself off tho.

Any ideas on why it is requesting the route to 0.0.0.0?

Many thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:10 am 

Forgot to say. Just in case it was something to do with the contents or state of the hard drive, I put it onto a linux box, wiped it and installed the FC5 image on the wiki. The HD now has what should be a bootable system on it. The FC5 install places a 2.6 kernel in /boot and it is named correctly for uboot to find it. I fear that I need someone with jtag skills to reflash the rom. ...Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:31 pm 

Can you not use the buttons to boot in EM mode? when you do that it defaults to 192.168.11.150 (unless you have dchp running).

From there you just need to erase fffc6000 thru fffc6fff to reset u-boot back to it's default environment.

Post subject: misconfigured...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:24 pm 

Weird... Are you sure you've started the tcpdump BEFORE powering the Kuro on? Do you have a serial console?... Sorry, don't have any more ideas ATM...

Guennadi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:20 pm 

Hi guys,

Booted the kuro without the HD attached - the same slow on off pattern for the power light - not even the HD error pattern. I guess its bricked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:41 pm 

Use a crossover cable from ur pc to the kurobox. Set your pc's ip to 192.168.11.149 power on the kurobox and try pinging 192.168.11.150 from ur pc.

Post subject: in the same boat
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:20 am 

Hello,

it appears that i am in the same boat as ph0b. The power light slowly fades in and out. NC on 192.168.11.150 shows nothing, i cannot use the power lights anymore to enter em mode, and the diag lights do nothing if the HD is not attached. Using a crossover cable and ethereal only shows ARP packets. Is it bricked? Do I have to mail it to Dave Taylor to be reflashed?

Thanks,
Nick

Post subject: BUMP
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:25 pm 

BUMP (see above post for symptoms)

My Kuro has been down for a week now. Does anyone have a solution? I don't mind sending it out for JTAG. If this thing is toast and JTAG is not possible, is it worth getting into the KB/LSpro?

Waiting for a response,
Nick

from pricejapan.com

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]