Kurobox NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Kuro Community
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:54 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kuro as DNS Server?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:46 am 

Has anyone set up a caching DNS server on the Kuro? (using either the stock or gentoo distributions). I was thinking this would be a nice addition since I am having some DNS server issues on occasion with Comcast cablemodem service.

I searched here on the forums and did not see anybody mention it. I assume it should work fairly easily (at least with gentoo) but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions etc.

thanks,
jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:36 pm 

I'm using dnsmasq as a DNS and DHCP server on my kuro. In fact it is my main DNS server for my lan. It works as a dream and thus far (1 month) I haven't had any problems. One nice feature of dnsmasq is that it uses your /etc/host file which makes it perfect for a home/lan setup and very easy to configure.

If I remember correctly you can just do a emerge dnsmasq on a gentood box.

Hope this helps:)

Post subject: bind 9
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 7:57 pm 
I compiled bind 9 on my Kuro and installed it as a caching dns server and seondary to my internal domain. It seems to work fine. Have it also working in a client's office.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:49 am 

I've been working through some name issues myself and I am evaluating dnsmasq. I'm also using a linksys router with the dd-wrt firmware upgrade.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with dnsmasq on the router and on the kurobox. It seems there is a "best" place for it but I don't know enough to answer.

It seems a question of balance. Does the KB have more resources to expend or the router?

Paul Krupa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:42 pm 

I run dnsmasq on my kuro. It's very lightweight, no resource issues that I can see. I use it as the DHCP server on my LAN - I got unhappy with the one in my router because I never knew what IPs any of the computers on my lan were using and I could not look them up by name with that router. With dnsmasq all of the machines on the LAN are easily looked up and I have a log I can go to on the kuro to see what IPs have been given out. Only problem is when there is a power outage the kuro does not auto-power-on. I wish it had that feature :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:15 pm 

Quote:
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with dnsmasq on the router and on the kurobox. It seems there is a "best" place for it but I don't know enough to answer.

It seems a question of balance. Does the KB have more resources to expend or the router?

I've got dnsmasq running under openwrt on an asus router with no problems. The KB is certainly a more capable machine that this router, but you don't need much power to run it on either of them. I'd say run it on the router, as thats going to be up all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:41 pm 

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've been trying it out both ways and I haven't seen much difference. I expect as someone else said, the router is always up so it's probably more reliable. With UPS or some similar setup I could expect the same from the KUROBOX

Paul Krupa

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]