Kurobox NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Kuro Community
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:31 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous 111 12 13 14 15 Next
 Post subject: Re: kernel-loader script
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 7:12 am 

lyakh wrote:
/etc/init.d/boot_new.sh

Can you post your /etc/fstab that goes with it, please?

Post subject: Re: kernel-loader script
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 7:43 am 

andre wrote:
lyakh wrote:
/etc/init.d/boot_new.sh

Can you post your /etc/fstab that goes with it, please?

There's nothing special there, just / on /dev/hda1. You really can remount ir read-only because you do it as the first startup script, when nothing runs yet. And another thing it does - if booting your new kernel fails, next time you just boot into your usual 2.4.17... So, no risk:-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 10:32 am 

I managed to get my box into EM mode anyway, but it was my own fault. Your script works fine.

Linux Kernel 2.6/PPC (and more!) for Linkstation/KuroBox/HG/HS/Terastation from http://hvkls.dyndns.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 10:56 am 

andre wrote:
I managed to get my box into EM mode anyway, but it was my own fault. Your script works fine.

And how did you manage it? I tried to catch all possible errors there, what have I missed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 11:11 am 

Nothing. I put my /usr and /var on /dev/hda3 a while ago. Trying to avoid unclean mounts of this partition, I added "ro" for /dev/hda3 in /etc/fstab and thought I had extended your script to mount it. I'm not sure what went wrong, but ppc_uartd is timing out, either because /var is not writable, because there is a an fsck taking too long, or because I messed up something in general. Is a PITA because I only have a Mac laptop, so I have to ask my friends if I can disassemble their PCs to put my HDD in -- all this hassle to remove three characters...

Linux Kernel 2.6/PPC (and more!) for Linkstation/KuroBox/HG/HS/Terastation from http://hvkls.dyndns.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 11:48 am 

andre wrote:
Nothing. I put my /usr and /var on /dev/hda3 a while ago. Trying to avoid unclean mounts of this partition, I added "ro" for /dev/hda3 in /etc/fstab and thought I had extended your script to mount it.

Hm, you shouldn't need any of them, and your dstab should not yet have been run - it should be the very first script to run - before mountall. You only need loader.o, insmod and your kernel, and /etc for the new kernel name, or put it under /boot too. Try to do this all with only 1 partition.

andre wrote:
I'm not sure what went wrong, but ppc_uartd is timing out, either because /var is not writable, because there is a an fsck taking too long, or because I messed up something in general. Is a PITA because I only have a Mac laptop, so I have to ask my friends if I can disassemble their PCs to put my HDD in -- all this hassle to remove three characters...

A USB enclosure? about 30 Euro, I think...

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 12:21 pm 

(I wish we had a development mailing list, this thread is definetely heavily abused by off-topic postings, here's another one...)

In /proc/tty/driver/serial on a Kurobox you see ttyS0 and ttyS1 at 0x80004500 and 0x80004600. Question - where do they come from??? Ok, the one at 0xx80004600 comes from linkstation.c::linkstation_setup_arch():

early_serial_console_init("console=uart,mmio,0x80004600,57600n8");

But where does the other one come from? I don't have it on the command line, I haven't found any setserial calls in /etc (Debian Sarge almost standard)?

Another thing, in linkstation.h we have:
#define LINKSTATION_SERIAL_0 0x80004500
#define LINKSTATION_SERIAL_1 0x80004600

But as the system boots they swap - _1 becomes ttyS0 and _0 - ttyS1.

Also, in the patch from baulab for 2.6.17-rcX (I think) the command line was disabled - commented out for some reason... Why?

Does anyone know why power_off / reboot in linkstation.c send "G" to ttyS1, and halt and reboot scripts "E" and "C" respectively?

Thanks
Guennadi

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 1:14 pm 

lyakh wrote:
In /proc/tty/driver/serial on a Kurobox you see ttyS0 and ttyS1 at 0x80004500 and 0x80004600. Question - where do they come from???

Ok, found them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 4:32 pm 

lyakh wrote:
your dstab should not yet have been run - it should be the very first script to run - before mountall.

That was the case, still I had journal recoveries on /dev/hda3, but not on /dev/hda1.

lyakh wrote:
A USB enclosure? about 30 Euro, I think...

Or a USB/IDE converter for half the price. Will think about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 6:55 pm 

Hi,lyakh.

ttyS0 0x8004600 Serial console
ttyS1 0x8004500 AVR-microProcessor System-Power-Controller

ttyS0 and ttyS1 IO-address swaped in 'arch/ppc/syslib/mpc10x_common.c'

If you want restart or halt system.
Set reboot mode. Send to ttyS1 "CCCC"
Set halt mode, Send to ttyS1 "EEEEE"
After kernel-close process finished, Kernel send to ttyS1 "GGGG".(Kick)

And, I Don't Disable command line.It works with flash-bootloader and loader.o.

baulab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 10:23 am 

Hi, baulab

baulab wrote:
ttyS0 0x8004600 Serial console
ttyS1 0x8004500 AVR-microProcessor System-Power-Controller

ttyS0 and ttyS1 IO-address swaped in 'arch/ppc/syslib/mpc10x_common.c'

Yes, found them - and restored the original MPC10x assignment in my local version - I don't like special-casing, especially where not needed. So, on my system it's back again ttyS0 AVM, and ttyS1 console.

baulab wrote:
If you want restart or halt system.
Set reboot mode. Send to ttyS1 "CCCC"
Set halt mode, Send to ttyS1 "EEEEE"
After kernel-close process finished, Kernel send to ttyS1 "GGGG".(Kick)

Ahh, one needs both of them! I'll try to put it completely in the kernel _reset and _halt - then you are one step nearer to be able to properly run a generic ppc distro "out of the box". I'd also try switching the watchdog off directly in the kernel. Actually, I was thinking what would be the proper way to communicate with the AVR - a new line disciplin? You need it from _init, _reset, _halt, and you get input events from it...

baulab wrote:
And, I Don't Disable command line.It works with flash-bootloader and loader.o.

Yes, sorry, I wasn't precise enough - I am used to specifying the command line in kernel config (from ARM), and it did work with the previous patch around 2.6.15. So, I was surprised it didn't work now, and restored it.

On a side note - are you satisfied with this communication channel - forum? I much prefer mailing lists: with ML I have all emails locally on my disk and can process them any time (ok, now I do have flatrate, but as I didn't have it it was a BIG difference) using any scripts, sorting, filtering, quoting, replying... With Forum you have to first look through 20 "potentially interesting" threads to see if there's been anything new on any on them... My previous "embedded toy" - a Tuxscreen had just 1 mailing list for all subjects (kernel, distro, hardware, etc.) and it was PERFECTLY convenient.

Thanks
Guennadi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:25 am 

hvkls.dyndns.org is back!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:47 am 

andre wrote:

This is exactly why we need a file repository for the wiki.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:04 am 

Dave Taylor wrote:
andre wrote:

This is exactly why we need a file repository for the wiki.

Feel free to mirror my server.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:31 pm 

hopefully we have access to the wiki soon...

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous 111 12 13 14 15 Next