Kurobox NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Kuro Community
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:45 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: LILO
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:36 am 

Is it possible to install a linux boot loader on the KURO, I definately want to give Gentoo a try, but don't want to lose what I've done so-far and would love the luxury of booting between two configs.

Sorry, I don't want to get off topic, but others might have similar thoughts.

leslie

Post subject: Re: LILO
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:36 am 

lesliew wrote:
Is it possible to install a linux boot loader on the KURO, I definately want to give Gentoo a try, but don't want to lose what I've done so-far and would love the luxury of booting between two configs.

Sorry, I don't want to get off topic, but others might have similar thoughts.

Hi Leslie,

At the moment there is no safe way of experimenting with the kuro's kernel which resides in flash. Several people are working on it.

I would suggest that if you want to experiment that you do what I did: back up your /dev/hda1, you can always restore it later. Search for "write_ng" here for how to get back to the EM setup mode of the kuro. I store my various hda1 images as tarballs on my /dev/hda3 partition on the kuro's drive. If you didn't give yourself a big /dev/hda1 initially, you'll obviously have to back it up somewhere else and do a repartition.

In theory (I haven't tried this) you should be able to set up dual partitions and simply manipulate the partition table to redefine which one's the first partition and switch which one boots that way. Let me know if you get that to work.? 8)

LILO does not apply to this PPC architecture, we're all wondering if uboot will work.

James

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]