Kurobox NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Kuro Community
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:45 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2
 Post subject: Audio no-go on gentoo
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:24 pm 

Unfortuanately, I was never able to get USB audio working with gentoo. I tried everything I could think of: compiling the kernel, using the pre-compiled modules I found on the nett, etc. When doing the module loading via modprobe, I kept getting a bunch of symbol mismatches.

I really liked the gentoo environment, but this problem prevented me from keeping it on my system. I eventually reverted back to Buffalo supplied software, and my compiled kernel modules,.

Thanks,
Rob

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:18 pm 

rscott13 wrote:
Unfortuanately, I was never able to get USB audio working with gentoo. I tried everything I could think of: compiling the kernel, using the pre-compiled modules I found on the nett, etc. When doing the module loading via modprobe, I kept getting a bunch of symbol mismatches.

I really liked the gentoo environment, but this problem prevented me from keeping it on my system. I eventually reverted back to Buffalo supplied software, and my compiled kernel modules,.

Thanks,
Rob

That's a little strange considering that it's the same kernel in both cases?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:43 pm 
rscott13 wrote:

Was this the kernel usb audio option (called "audio" if built as a module) or was it alsa with its usb driver?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:39 pm 

This is mostly aimed at TGL, but other comments welcomed:

I know it's not strictly speaking part of a stage 3 tarball, but for the next Beta may I suggest that it include all the available compiled modules appropriately depmod'ed and possibly the kernel source code?

The modules because people want to experiment, that was the whole point of the TGC and hardware is a part of that, and the kernel because I unashmedly would like the TGC to be the reference platform for kuro kernel development... :twisted:

There's a couple of new (well to me) bug/misfeatures in Beta 1 that need to be swatted for Beta 2: The console is getting PAM error on XAUTHORITY and complaints about a missing modules.dep file. I don't know if I'm the only TGC user with console access on the kuro? (I have read, but not write since I knocked the pads off the board when soldering. Yes, I'm a clumsy oaf, that's why I don't solder for a living! :lol: )

James

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:20 pm 

jgmdean wrote:
There's a couple of new (well to me) bug/misfeatures in Beta 1 that need to be swatted for Beta 2: The console is getting PAM error on XAUTHORITY and complaints about a missing modules.dep file.

To fix the XAUTHORITY bug, just edit your /etc/security/pam_env.conf this way:
Code:
REMOTEHOST      DEFAULT=localhost OVERRIDE=@{PAM_RHOST}
#
# Set the DISPLAY variable if it seems reasonable
DISPLAY         DEFAULT=${REMOTEHOST}:0.0 OVERRIDE=${DISPLAY}
#
# Set the XAUTHORITY variable if pam_xauth is used
#XAUTHORITY     DEFAULT= OVERRIDE=@{XAUTHORITY}

As for the modules thing, did you try to run depmod -ae?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:28 pm 

mephisto wrote:
jgmdean wrote:
There's a couple of new (well to me) bug/misfeatures in Beta 1 that need to be swatted for Beta 2: The console is getting PAM error on XAUTHORITY and complaints about a missing modules.dep file.

To fix the XAUTHORITY bug, just edit your /etc/security/pam_env.conf this way:
Code:
REMOTEHOST      DEFAULT=localhost OVERRIDE=@{PAM_RHOST}
#
# Set the DISPLAY variable if it seems reasonable
DISPLAY         DEFAULT=${REMOTEHOST}:0.0 OVERRIDE=${DISPLAY}
#
# Set the XAUTHORITY variable if pam_xauth is used
#XAUTHORITY     DEFAULT= OVERRIDE=@{XAUTHORITY}

As for the modules thing, did you try to run depmod -ae?

Actually I eventually tracked down the PAM thing to that file and fixed that way (I am not a PAM guru), and I installled every module I could find and did the depmod (although a blank file would have been enough). I should probably add these comments to the Wiki as Genttoo Beta 1 bugs.

James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:00 pm 

Request for Beta 2:

Hi,
This Gentoo project looks great. I know very little about using Linux from the command line but I am looking forward to installing your Gentoo files and giving it a go.

I would like to be able to have a dual boot option. I would like to leave the regular Kuro Box software installed and booted by default. When I wanted to experiment with Gentoo, I would like to telnet into the box and execute a command like "bootgentoo". If possible, I'd like Gentoo kept on a seperate set of partitions to allow me to fiddle with them without affecting the default installation. If I hosed the Gentoo install, it would be great to just reboot the KB which would go back to the normal install. If possible, I'd also like for the normal install to not be writable from the Gentoo install so as to further protect myself from screw-ups.

Is there any hope for this?

I know you guys have seen jochang's kernel loader from this thread:
http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=277
Does it work well enough to allow this Gentoo project to move to new kernels without requiring a flash?

Last edited by awx on Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:14 pm 

You don't really need to "boot" gentoo, you can simply chroot into it.

Create a directory in which you extract the gentoo archive(s). Get a chroot binary (if the default install has none) and execute chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
It might helpt to mount your dev- and proc-filesystem into the gentoo-dir with
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
mount -o bind /proc /mnt/gentoo/proc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:22 pm 

Until such time as someone creates and completely debugs a better bootloader I don't see multiple installed OS' as an option right now. Having multiple roots on different partitions is mostly trivial, but without easy and risk free access to the kernel boot parameters changing them is not really an option. It might be possible to use jochangs modules from EM mode to switch, but I wouldn't reccomend it right now.

"chroot" environments are great for setting up and repairing images, but they don't really go through the boot process properly, at least by default.

James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 7:22 am 
well, there are only two things I can think of.

1. better documentation.
2. posting updates at the gentoo forums will probably bring more ideas, more interest, and ideally more help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 11:49 am 

Whoa, thread from the dead.

I'd still be willing to work on the documentation if there is a new release.

Also, I posted this in the wiki but I'll post it here too. We need "screen" included to help with the long compiles. mirrorselect would be nice to have as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:36 am 
Hi!
Anonymous wrote:
well, there are only two things I can think of.

1. better documentation.
2. posting updates at the gentoo forums will probably bring more ideas, more interest, and ideally more help!

Can you please drop a link here for the Gentoo forums you've mentioned? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:36 am 

I know this is reviving a dead thread, and my knowlege of how portage works is pretty limited, but here's what I think would be great:

1) All modules included for the stock kernel would be great
2) instead of using the newest version of iptables, a working version available in the portage tree would be really great.

I've had some other minor irritations with Gentoo, but overall I'm quite pleased.

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2