Kurobox NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Kuro Community
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:45 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:44 am 
I was wondering if there was ever going to be anyone who put some time into some of the more common Distro's. Personally, I have not even heard of gentoo or Debian before I was reading this site. The advantage of a more common one would be for people like me, whose first feel for Linux was when he bought his/her Kuro-Box/Linkstation. It is much easier to learn something when you can find lots of support for it. No one that I know runs Debian or gentoo. Most of them are FreeBSD and Redhat.not only that but something that was 100% English would hurt either...

Also I hear that FreeBSD can run fast and stable on almost anything.

I guess what I am wondering is if there is a way to install one if these from telnet? Would it be hard to configure? Is there someone who would be will to help me with this project?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:01 am 

SurWicked wrote:
I was wondering if there was ever going to be anyone who put some time into some of the more common Distro's. Personally, I have not even heard of gentoo or Debian before I was reading this site.

I am surprised that you haven't heard of Debian, but have heard of FreeBSD. Debian is arguably the most popular non-commercial (as in, there isn't a company that decides what goes into the distribution and what doesn't) Linux distribution right now.

Gentoo is great because it has a much better package management tool than most other distributions. See: http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/about.xml

I think you'll pick up Gentoo very quickly. You might find it difficult to find people who know Redhat and the PowerPC architecture and the wrinkles that Kuro-Box introduces. At least with Gentoo, there are plenty of people here that could help you.

Quote:
I guess what I am wondering is if there is a way to install one if these from telnet? Would it be hard to configure? Is there someone who would be will to help me with this project?

It is possible. You would need to reproduce what TGL and jgmdean did, but using your favourite distribution instead. Probably not something that a Linux newbie would want to attempt.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:51 am 

mdavey wrote:
SurWicked wrote:
I was wondering if there was ever going to be anyone who put some time into some of the more common Distro's. Personally, I have not even heard of gentoo or Debian before I was reading this site.

I am surprised that you haven't heard of Debian, but have heard of FreeBSD. Debian is arguably the most popular non-commercial (as in, there isn't a company that decides what goes into the distribution and what doesn't) Linux distribution right now.

Gentoo is great because it has a much better package management tool than most other distributions. See: http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/about.xml

One of the reasons I like Gentoo is that it has all the aspects of Debian that I like (and last year went to a non-profit organization to finally), but I always liked FreeBSD's ports system, and Portage goes that several better.

mdavey wrote:
I think you'll pick up Gentoo very quickly. You might find it difficult to find people who know Redhat and the PowerPC architecture and the wrinkles that Kuro-Box introduces. At least with Gentoo, there are plenty of people here that could help you.

I guess I'm one of those hard to find people! :lol: While I'm not a PPC expert I am old school enough to have experience with multiple architectures. That is the principle issue with Red-Hat on the kuro, RH is very X86/PC architecture centric, never mind more esoteric objections. <mutter> Damn kids today, don't know anything but Wintel PC's even if they run Linux... </mutter> :roll: :lol:

mdavey wrote:
Quote:

It is possible. You would need to reproduce what TGL and jgmdean did, but using your favourite distribution instead. Probably not something that a Linux newbie would want to attempt.

I'll second that. I didn't pick Gentoo just because I like the Portage system or that it's proven to run on PPC. I picked primarily it because it's the easiest "full blown Linux" system to get up and running on less-than-mainstream platforms. FreeBSD is a definite probable, but since the kernel on the kuro is a Linux kernel and it's in "easy to brick your kuro" flash, I wasn't prepared to take that risk. The "history" of Gentoo (http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/about.xml goes a long way towards explaining how Gentoo wound up with some of the best features of other Distributions and OS'. I find the whole "Larry the Cow" thing silly, but apart from that Gentoo is architected by professionals, for professionals, and it shows. I should know, I is an Systems Architect! :lol:

James

Post subject: Q about kernel
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:29 am 
Do you mean that even if Kuro boots from the HDD the kernel's used is still the one from the flash rom? Hmmm...

That differs from some other embedded solutions, for example linux on iPaq (familiar). There, the flash's bootloader knows how to boot whatever kernel you put there. It is done the way that flash is partitioned in half, and some space is used by bootloader, the rest is up to rewrite the way you want.

I don't say Kuro way is bad, especially if there is no general bugs with supplied kernel. It's definitely simpler to kick-start a custom distribution this way.

Post subject: Re: Q about kernel
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:54 am 
Androxylo wrote:
Do you mean that even if Kuro boots from the HDD the kernel's used is still the one from the flash rom? Hmmm...

That differs from some other embedded solutions, for example linux on iPaq (familiar). There, the flash's bootloader knows how to boot whatever kernel you put there. It is done the way that flash is partitioned in half, and some space is used by bootloader, the rest is up to rewrite the way you want.

I don't say Kuro way is bad, especially if there is no general bugs with supplied kernel. It's definitely simpler to kick-start a custom distribution this way.

Yup. There is no bootloader as most Linux users are used to using the term in the Kuro. The kernel resides in the flash and the boot code grabs it directly. The system doen't really "boot from HDD", that's just where the root lives. There's also the "EM mode" root image in flash.

It's a good, simple design for an appliance (hello, that's what the Linkstation is supposed to be) but it's limiting for those of us a little more adventurous. The big problem is that if you have FUBAR'ed the flash it takes some specialized gear and know how (search here, the wiki, and Google) to fix it. This is commonly reffered to as "bricking" the kuro, since in the absense of said gear and skills it's useful only as a brick after screwing up the flash.

JoChang has a project that loads a new kernel over the running one, which seems to work better on original kuros than on HG's. Again search here and the wiki.

There was an effort to write a proper bootloader for the flash so that kernels could be loaded from disk, but I haven't heard anything in a while.

James

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]